From the Editor's Desk: Diving back into the semester

After a month away, Ohio University students are back on campus. In a way, it’s weird to be back. Most students probably spent most of their breaks sleeping until noon and forgetting about the stress of school. 

Winter break also gives students time to reflect on the past year and look at what goals they want to set going into the new year.

The end of 2019 marked not only another year but also another decade. Many people took to social media to reflect on the past 10 years of their life and what they accomplished. For college students, it included graduating grade school, high school and, for some, even graduating college. It was a time to look back on accomplishments and failures and see where this new decade will take you.

A new semester is the perfect time for that fresh start, too, with new classes, new routines and a new chance to make opportunities for yourself. 

New Year’s resolutions sometimes seem pointless, or people feel they have the bar set too high for them to achieve their goals. Many expect changes right away when it comes to resolutions, which might be why they quit so soon. 

It’s important to have patience with the goals and changes you are looking for and understand it will take some time to accomplish. It’s about starting with some small goals to see some bigger changes. 

For instance, if you want to stop buying coffee, slowly reduce the amount of times you go each week. If you’re self-conscious about going to the gym, workout with a friend or start by going on runs or biking on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. If you want to be better about getting schoolwork done, set some time after classes to go to the library or a coffee shop a couple times a week. 

The Post is seeing some changes as well going into the spring semester. We had some of our staff members graduate, so we now have a new long-form editor and social media director. We are excited to see what long-form story ideas writers come up with as well as new approaches to social media that will be tried out.

We are also looking to gain more staff members who want to explore their interests in writing, multimedia and design. 

This semester also marks the start of hiring a new staff for the next academic year. It will be exciting to see who will fill the place of those graduating in May. 

We are excited to what new ideas and opportunities will be brought to The Post to start 2020 on a high note for our publication. 

Ellen Wagner is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Ellen at ew047615@ohio.edu or tweet her @ewagner19.