On the Ball: The Kardashian impact on the environment

The infamous Kardashian family has entertained millions of people worldwide for years, first catching the public’s eye when their famous father successfully defended OJ Simpson. After seventeen successful seasons of Keeping Up with The Kardashians, the family became a household name, and the sisters overtook the internet. 

They are everywhere: magazines, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat. Some are building clothing and makeup brands, creating their own TV shows. They’re entering the interior design industry. 

The Kardashian family and empire has not only been built by the family but more so through the people who support them in everything they do. But what can giving them this much power mean? 

According to Harper’s Baazar, the Kardashian net worths range from $1 Billion (Kylie Jenner) to $370 Million (Kim Kardashian) to $40 Million (Khloé Kardashian). 

Some people would argue that Kylie Jenner is a “self-made” entrepreneur, but she grew up around money. Through her parents and siblings, she has gained recognition and following that elevated her position to become successful. 

Fans and critiques on Twitter showed how upset they were when Jenner posted a picture on her instagram story of the devastating amount of animals lost in the Australian fires with the text “this breaks my heart...”  

After facing backlash for not donating to the fire relief, it was reported that Jenner donated $1 Million. But she then went on to post a picture of her brand new Louis Vuitton slippers made of mink fur. 

The slippers are “crafted from luxurious mink fur printed with an oversized LV Initials signature. This open-toe, slip-on style is made even softer by its insock in sheared mink fur,” according to the Louis Vuitton listing

Mink fur is farmed to produce soft, comfortable fabrics that are made into high-end products for the wealthy. 

Faunalytics, a website that works to inform the public on general resources and research on certain companies and products harmful toward animals, examined a study done that proves mink farms actually hurt the environment. 

“Compared with textiles, fur has a higher impact on 17 of the 18 environmental themes, including climate change, eutrophication and toxic emissions,” Marijn Bijleveld wrote in the study.

This means that the farming of mink to make their fur into fabric negatively impacts the environment, something the young Jenner seems to care so much about, as she posted about animals specifically affected by the fires in Australia. 

As consumers, we have the choice to support certain people with our time and our money. I am guilty of watching the Kardashians on Sunday nights, but as I get older, I realize how important it is to be mindful when consuming. 

I encourage those who watch and support the Kardashians to be aware of who they are giving their time and energy to. Take time to research who the Kardashians are donating to, how much they are giving and when they are donating. Consumers who support them are indirectly supporting their habits, including what they wear and where they donate their money to. 

Rory Ball is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Rory know by tweeting her @roryellizabeth.