Frank Solich (second to the left) stands with Ohio University athletic director Julie Cromer, OU president Duane Nellis and Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher following the Bobcats' win in the 2020 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Football: What to know about Frank Solich's contract extension

Coach Frank Solich signed another contract extension to remain coach of the Bobcats before Ohio traveled to Boise, Idaho, for its win Friday over Nevada in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Solich, who is 75 years old and the oldest active coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision, extended his contract for two years and owns the highest base salary of any Ohio University employee, according to documents The Post obtained through a Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA, request. 

The contract was signed on Dec. 23 and is now set to expire Dec. 31, 2021. It gives Solich an annual base salary of $589,928, an increase from his previous salary of $524,928. The new salary isn’t necessarily a pay raise, however, and is only higher due to a restructuring of total pay.

“Solich’s total compensation will remain unchanged but has been restructured to reflect an increase in salary and a decrease in bonus compensation,“ OU spokesperson Jim Sabin said.

Ohio men’s basketball coach Jeff Boals is now the university’s second highest-paid employee and has a base salary of $581,000.

Additional bonuses from Solich’s extension include:

• Additional 5% of base pay if the team wins the Mid-American Conference East Division and participates in the MAC Championship Game
  • Additional 10% of base pay if the the team wins the MAC Championship Game
  • Additional 10% of base pay if the team wins a bowl game
  • Additional $100,000 if the team participates in a New Year’s Six bowl game
  • Additional $25,000 if the team achieves a Top 25 ranking at the end of the season (either in the Associated Press or the Coaches/USA Today Poll).
  • Additional $10,000 if he is named MAC Coach of the Year
  • Additional $25,000 if he is named National Coach of the Year
  • Cumulative incentives will be given based on the number of regular season wins: $5,000 for seven wins, $5,000 for eight wins, $5,000 for nine wins, $10,000 for 10 wins, $10,000 for 11 wins and $10,000 for 12 wins.

The contract also states that the Ohio athletic director and Solich will meet to discuss the renewal, extension or non-renewal of the agreement in December 2020.

A copy of the contract is attached:

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu