Ohio forward Tyler Harkins (22) fires a puck on net during the first period of the Bobcats game against Robert-Morris Illinois on Friday, October 11, 2019, at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats won 4-3 in a shootout. (FILE)

Hockey: Second Illinois series scouting report and how to watch

Ohio starts the Spring Semester facing a Central States Collegiate Hockey League opponent in Illinois. 

Even though momentum might be dead, the Bobcats are looking to build off the confidence they had before the winter wreak. 

Ohio, ranked No. 8 in the nation, won three straight games against top 10 teams in December. One of those teams was Illinois. 

“There isn’t momentum for anyone right now,” coach Cole Bell said. “Three weeks is going to kill that. The one thing it does is give us confidence.”

Game information

Opponent: Illinois

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

Venue: Bird Arena

How to watch: Bobcat Productions presents Ohio Hockey

Meet the Opponent

Top point scorers

No. 26 Thomas Kolaz (10 goals, 13 assists)

No. 15 Braden Stewart (7 goals, 11 assists)

No. 24 Robert Ernsting (4 goals, 14 assists)

Goalie play

No. 1 Jacob Barnhart (5-4, 2.20 goals-against average, .915 save percentage, one shutout)

No. 30 Elliot Gerth (6-3, 2.65 goals-against average, .884 save percentage, one shutout)

No. 31 Royce Allred (2-0, 2.50 goals-against average, .881 save percentage)

Penalty minutes

No. 26 Thomas Kolaz (63)

No. 15 Braden Stewart (53)

No. 7 Zachary Hayes (26)

Last matchup

The first series of the season between Ohio and Illinois was back on Dec. 6 and Dec. 7. The Bobcats traveled to the University of Illinois Ice Arena and walked away with a series split. 

What to look for

Cleaner Play 

In the first series between these two teams, Ohio was restricted due to the amount of time it spent in the penalty box. In the first game, the Bobcats were given 29 penalty minutes. In the second game, the Bobcats spent 18 minutes in the box. 

“The first game we didn’t play very well as a team,” Bell said. “We definitely came back and answered the bell on Saturday, and that was a good victory for us.”

@17_Andrew_

aa816819@ohio.edu