Ohio's Ben Vander Plas attempts to score a basket over Bowling Green's Daeqwon Plowden during the Bobcats’ game in The Convo on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020.

Men's Basketball: Ohio loses 83-74 to Bowling Green in second half collapse

Ohio lost to Bowling Green 83-74 Saturday afternoon in The Convo in a Mid-American Conference East Division game.

Despite a strong first half that featured a team 60% shooting from behind-the-arc, the Bobcats were unable to replicate their first half success into the second.

Ohio, who was receiving plenty of open looks early in the game, had them tightened up by Bowling Green’s halftime adjustments with a press when taking the ball out and up on the court. The press clogged up the shooting lanes and saw that 60% turn into 43.5%.

The Bobcats were led by Ben Vander Plas who finished the game with 25 points, 8 rebounds and one assist on  minutes.

The redshirt sophomore guard got off to a hot start as he went 5-for-6 from behind-the-arc and closed out the first half with 19 points on 77% from the field.

On most of Vander Plas’ looks from behind-the-arc, he had ample time to set his feet and have an easy release before any Bowling Green player could get near him.

That’s been the case for Ohio in its last two games is relying heavily on the 3-point-shot. It was evident against Bowling Green and against Eastern Michigan on Tuesday when Jordan Dartis had eight 3-pointers.

The Bobcats (9-7, 1-2 MAC) have another quick turn around before they head to Buffalo for another East Division game on Jan. 14.

Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu