Ohio’s Logan Stanley wrestles Campbell’s Austin Murphy during a match on Nov. 10, 2019, in The Convo. (FILE)

Wrestling: Ohio looks to continue hot start with a trip to Southern Illinois

Ohio (4-5, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) is coming off a strong weekend after it got its first two victories in the MAC. The Bobcats defeated Kent State 26-17 and followed that up with a 19-13 victory against Cleveland State. 

Here is the information for this weekend: 

Opponent: Southern Illinois-Edwardsville

Opponent Record: 1-8, 0-5 MAC

Meet Location: First Community Arena at the Vadalabene Center

Meet Date: Jan. 26 at 2 p.m.

What’s Happened so far: 

Ohio now ranks 5th in the West Division in the MAC and has a chance of climbing higher with a win against the Cougars. The Bobcats beat Southern Illinois last season 22-15 at The Convo. 

Match Information: 

This will be the Bobcats last road dual of the regular season. While Southern Illinois does not have the best record, they do have quality wrestlers. Tyshawn Williams will face No. 20 Alec Hagan in the 149-pound weight class. Williams owns a solid 7-5 record and should give Hagan a good bout.

In the 157-pound weight class, No. 17 Zac Carson will go up against Justin Ruffin, who is 17-5 on the season. Carson will be ready for the challenge, as he has faced some of the better wrestlers in the NCAA this season. These matches will give a good idea of which team will come out victorious. 

After the dual with the Cougars, Ohio will begin a seven dual homestand that begins on Jan. 31 against Central Michigan. If Ohio wants to make a run for a good seed in the MAC, it must continue its solid performances this Sunday. 

@Willshep13

ws905818@ohio.edu