Ohio University's, Erica Johnson (#4), pulls up for a three point shot during the home game against America. (FILE)

Women's Basketball: Bowling Green scouting report and how to watch

Ohio welcomes Bowling Green to The Convo on Saturday with hopes of extending its win streak to three games. 

The Falcons have had a rough go this season, but their record is an often unreliable sign of their talent. Last season, Bowling Green gave Ohio two tough games and will carry the bitter taste of those defeats into its Mid-American Conference matchup. 

GAME INFORMATION 

Opponent: Bowling Green (8-10, 1-5 MAC)

Gametime: 1 p.m.

How to watch: ESPN3 

How to listen: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/ohio/

MEET THE OPPONENT 

Head Coach: Robyn Fralick (second season)

Probable starters

55 Angela Perry 

11 Mari Hill 

04 Madisen Parker 

35 Kadie Hempfling

23 Caterrion Thompson 

INDIVIDUAL STAT LEADERS 

Points per game: Perry (14.0)

Rebounds per game: Thompson (12.4)

Steals: Hill (31)

Field goal percentage: Perry (.585)

3-point percentage: Parker (.500)

Free throw percentage: Parker (.862)

TEAM STATS COMPARED TO OHIO 

Ohio stats in parenthesis 

Points per game: 75.4 (71.9)

Rebounds per game: 38.3 (35.6)

Steals per game: 6.28 (11.12)

Field goal percentage: .462 (.408)

3-point percentage: .391 (.324)

Free throw percentage: .673 (.631)

SERIES HISTORY 

Bowling Green leads the all-time series against the Bobcats 23-14. Last season the Bobcats did all they could in weakening that deficit by sweeping the Falcons. In both games, the Bobcats had to hold on at the end to squeak by with the win.

When the Bobcats played the Falcons in Bowling Green, late free throws by Erica Johnson had to save the Gabby Burris-less Bobcats, helping Ohio hold onto an 82-79 win. In the second meeting, both teams were tied at 59 after the third quarter. Ohio clamped down on defense in the fourth quarter and held the Falcons to nine points en route to a 76-68 senior day victory. 

PLAYERS TO WATCH 

Bowling Green has the second-best offense in the MAC, thanks to its ability to shoot the 3-pointer. The Falcons lead the conference with a .391 3-point shooting percentage.

The main reason for those solid numbers is Madisen Parker and Caterrion Thompson. Both Parker and Thompson can shoot with the best of them, and if the Bobcats let them get open looks, they’ll get busted wide open. 

For Ohio, keep an eye on point guard Cece Hooks. Hooks did not play in Ohio’s last game against Northern Illinois because of an undisclosed violation of team rules. Hooks would be allowed to play in Saturday’s game, per Ohio Director of Communications Mike Scholze. Prior to her one-game suspension, Hooks was on a scoring tear. She dropped 25 and 28 points in her last two games and with some fresh legs, she should look for a big day against one of the worst defenses in the MAC.  

WHY THIS GAME MATTERS?

Don’t let Bowling Green’s 1-5 conference record fool you. This is a good team. The Falcons have battled hard in most of their conference losses and show signs of a team on the cusp of learning how to win. If Ohio wins this game it’ll be on a three-game winning streak and will still have life in the tight MAC championship race. If the Bobcats lose they will sink into the middle of the pack. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu