Ohio University guard CeCe Hooks (#1) drives towards the basket with pressure from Marshall's Savannah Wheeler (#4) on Nov. 13, 2019.

Women's Basketball: Takeaways from Ohio's 73-71 loss to Central Michigan

Ohio welcomed Central Michigan to The Convo on Wednesday night for an early but important Mid-American Conference showdown. The game, which previewed who could go on to dominate conference play, was back and forth and only solidified that the Bobcats and Chippewas are among the best the conference has to offer. 

The two teams certainly didn’t disappoint. Cece Hooks had a game high 27 points, but Gabrielle Bird’s 3-pointer with seven seconds remaining gave the Chippewas a 73-71 win. 

A game of runs 

Ohio’s strong start and 12-point first quarter lead quickly dissipated in the game’s second stanza thanks to a monster run by the Chippewas.

After giving up a second chance jumper to CMU’s Gabrielle Bird almost midway through the quarter, the Bobcats gave up a plethora of points to follow. 

Central Michigan scored 16 more unanswered points before Ohio responded with a pair of Erica Johnson free throws. Ohio coach Bob Boldon never called a timeout during the four-and-a-half minute drought and Ohio’s attempts to slow down the Chippewas were futile. 

The Chippewas’ run, which gave them a 1-point lead before halftime, wasn’t the only run the Chippewas made throughout the game. CMU went on an 8-0 run early in the third quarter that put the brakes on a Bobcats surge, and then finished the quarter off with another one. 

Battle of the guards 

One of the most enticing battles on the court Wednesday came between MAC defensive player of the year Cece Hooks and the nation’s second-leading scorer Micaela Kelly. 

Hooks got the better of Kelly early, but soon Ohio found out why Kelly has been a problem to guard all season. Kelly’s speed and vision opened things up not only four herself but for the entire Chippewa squad. The junior ended up finishing the game with 19 points, but it was Hooks’ 27 points and nine rebounds that stood out among the rest. 

A party at the top

Last season’s MAC title race will be just as thrilling this year. Even though the Chippewas have a new head coach and plenty of new faces, the three-time MAC regular season champions look like they have no inkling of slowing down for the time being. Luckily for the Bobcats, Ohio won't have to wait long for a shot at payback when the two teams meet in Mount Pleasant on Feb. 1. 

@JL_Kirven 

jk810916@ohio.edu