Sneakthief playing a set at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. (Provided via Sneakthief)

The Big Cover-Up to benefit Athens County Humane Society

As with any Ohio University Siblings Weekend, many fun events are going on around town. One event for a good cause is this weekend’s Big Cover-Up show at The Union Bar and Grill this Friday. 

The Big Cover-Up XXI is a five-act concert at The Union, 18 W. Union St., showcasing local artists performing covers of bands to benefit the Athens County Humane Society, or ACHS. It was organized by Hocking College music students and Blackout Booking. 

“The (proceeds) will go towards our spay and neuter program,” Angela Marx, executive director of ACHS, said. “And our adoptable cat program.”

The ACHS offers monthly subsidized spay and neuter clinics, as well as feral cat trap spay and neuter and release. The donations will also help people who foster cats for ACHS.

“We provide cat food and litter (for our fosters),” Marx said. 

This type of benefit show is the first of its kind ACHS has held, Marx added. At the show, ACHS will have a table with merchandise and baked goods for sale as well. 

“We’re looking forward to it,” Marx said. 

Bands performing include Infinite Improbability Drive, Gorilla Party, Sneakthief, Acrylic Grooves and Vonte Moon. Artists to be covered stretch all genres -- from Radiohead to J. Cole. 

Sneakthief, an acoustic folk-punk rock band, has performed at many charity events recently, Daniel Palmer, guitarist and vocalist of Sneakthief, said. The band has raised over $1,000 at its recent non-profit shows. 

Sneakthief is going to cover the music of Hall & Oates for the upcoming ACHS fundraiser.

“(Hall & Oates) is not our style,” Joe Fradette, drummer and keyboardist for Sneakthief, said.

The band is playing Hall & Oates’ bigger hits, such as “You Make My Dreams,” “Rich Girl,” “Maneater” and “Portable Radio.”  Hall & Oates’ music is not very similar to Sneakthief’s, but the band is looking forward to adding its own touch.

“We’re Sneakthief-ing their music a little bit,” Palmer said. 

Gorilla Party, another band based in Athens, is playing the benefit, too. The band is excited for the crowd, Carson Dunlap, lead singer and guitarist, said.

“We play for the crowd,” Dunlap said. “We love the crowd to move and be into it.”

Gorilla Party will cover Blink-182’s music, Tyler Tompkins, drummer of Gorilla Party, said. Blink-182  is one of Gorilla Party’s influences. 

“We’re informed by a lot of alt rock, pop-punk and emo,” Tompkins said. “We get sad up there and play some loud stuff and have a fun time.”

Tompkins is most looking forward to hearing Sneakthief’s Hall & Oates set, he added. He’s also excited to play for a good cause. 

@_kerijohnson

kj153517@ohio.edu