Jacqueline Wolf (left) listens to Sarah Wyatt address the Faculty Senate at the Faculty Senate meeting on Monday, February 3, 2020.

Faculty Senate: New general education ideas discussed

Faculty Senate met Monday to further discussion regarding general education with Ohio University vice president and provost, Chaden Djalali.

The floor was opened up to allow attendees to ask Djalali questions. College of Arts and Sciences senator, Molly Gurien, started by asking why there will no longer be early retirement for instructional staff. Gurien said previously, instructional staff received early retirement and that it was taken away.

“It might be the right thing to do, to allow the voluntary separation,” Gurien said.

College of Arts and Sciences Senator Bill Owens expressed concerns about the ramifications of recent faculty firings on general education.

“The recent firings of faculty, along with future firings and plans not to replace faculty, make it less likely that we will get gen eds done right,” Owens said. 

In regard to both the instructional staff receiving early retirement, and improving general education and employment, Djalali said that there are plans in the works to improve both requests.

Following the questions, Katie Hartman, chair of the general education committee, gave a presentation on a new approach to general education. Her ideas consisted of aiding students’ critical thinking and oral communication skills, amongst other things.

With Hartman’s new ideas for general education, she hope students can attain the experiences of learning in a new way that benefits their careers.

“Our new general education guarantees that every student will have an experiential learning experience,” Hartman said. “That’s one of the things that’s important for not only students’ success, a transformative learning experience, but also, something you put on a resume.”

The board approved of Hartman’s general education proposal and agreed to implement it into curriculum. 

“We want students, all students, through general education to be guaranteed to have certain kinds of experiences that will allow them to achieve certain goals,” Hartman said.

@mayacatemorita

mm294318@ohio.edu