Fry’d Fries hosts grand opening

Fry’d Fries held its grand opening Friday night, boasting a proud ‘70s theme, photo opportunities with rapper Afroman and a line for its wide variety of fries.

The restaurant, opened and owned by Myles Culter, a senior studying sport management and marketing and current CEO of Fry’d, had a rowdy opening night. 

“We wanted to open up a fry place that really resonated with college kids, and that had more of like the ‘70s heavy vibe,” Cutler said. “When my family and I were on a trip to Amsterdam, we saw these fry shops on every single corner, and they had lines out the door. It was crazy. And, you know, when we came back here I was actually really high. You know, I called my dad and I was like, “Hey, we should we should open up a french fry restaurant named Fry’d.’ And he was like, ‘Let’s do it.’”

Cutler said his dad is a Dunkin’ Donuts franchisee, so he is no stranger to working in the food service industry. He also said he decided to bring it to Athens because he’s a student himself. 

Charles Cutler, Myles’ dad, said he thought the restaurant would be a ‘hit’ in Athens. 

“I thought this would be perfect for my son to do because I wanted him to have his own business,” Charles Cutler said. 

Josie Lyons, a freshman studying psychology and social work, was working the grand opening as a waitress.

“This is the best workplace ever,” Lyons said. “Even on my off day ...  I still came in at like 10 because you don't want to be away from these people and you love the vibe. You don't ever want to leave.”

Lyons said Fry’d is unique compared to other restaurants in Athens. 

“The cool thing is is that you can’t compare Fry’d to any other restaurants,” she said. “That’s why I tell people like, it’s gonna be overwhelming because there’s nothing else like it.”

Tom Bell, CEO of Vertex Labs and family friend of the Cutlers, flew into Athens from New York for the grand opening.

“I decided to fly out because I think it's a great idea,” Bell said. “I think the branding is amazing. You know, I was just telling somebody else it's like everybody looks at fries as the secondary thing, but when you build an entire brand around fries - and not just any fries, craft fries, the best fries you can have - I think it's a home run. I'm a big foodie so I'm super excited I can't wait until they bring it to Philly, New York and beyond.”

Many students could be spotted with friends either waiting in line for food or for a picture with Afroman.

“I’m excited because it’s just really cool that he’s opening it here in Athens and he’s just like a cool guy,” Allison Lennon, a freshman studying environmental pre-law, said.

Allena Knight, a sophomore studying nursing, said the fries she tried were “really good.” Knight also said she liked the puns they used, referring to marijuana use.

“I really like all the puns they use,” Maisy Krystek, a sophomore studying art, said. “I find it hilarious that they don’t even try to hide it.”

Jared Kennedy, a freshman studying electrical engineering, said he heard about Fry’d from a friend.

“My buddy went to the soft opening on Wednesday, I believe, and he told me ‘Afroman’s going to be there,’” Kennedy said. “I was like ‘Afroman?’ and he’s like ‘Yeah,’ so I showed up and he’s here.”

Sydney Kennedy, a sophomore studying restaurant, hotel and tourism said she came to try out the food.

“I was here to try out this new fry place because I love fries,” Kennedy said. 

@E_SkidmoreGS

es320518@ohio.edu