Graduate Student Senate President Dareen Tadros speaks to the rest of the Senate on Feb. 4th, 2020.

Graduate Student Senate: Upcoming election details discussed

Graduate Student Senate passed several resolutions Tuesday, including the appointment of new body members and postponing the election debate.

A standard resolution to appoint two new body members was approved. A representative for both the Sociology department and Industrial Systems and Engineering department were added.

Discussion over details over GSS’s upcoming election debate also occurred. 

The debate was postponed to solidify an exact date and to draw up candidate profiles. Rachel Stroup, an English department representative, said the debate is not a way for candidates to prove themselves compared to others.

“It’s more of a way for the candidates to introduce themselves to the graduate professional student body,” Stroup said. 

Senate members discussed who would be moderating the event, as some expressed concern over members in the election committee also acting as moderators. Ideas about how to advertise the debate on campus were also discussed.

“I would recommend seeking somebody from graduate college,” Brett Frederickson, department representative for environment and plant biology, said. “Based on some guidelines submitted from the Elections Committee, just field and ask questions.”

Senate members also approved a request for an additional $30,000 to go toward travel award funding. That would provide funds for 60 students and is used for conference travel and for graduate students to present their research. 

Original work grant funds were also increased by $1,000 per accepted proposals, resulting in $4,500 allocated for those grants. The resolution passed with an amendment that leftover funds are first put to the travel award. 

Senators also approved a resolution to use their funds for the upcoming Women in Grad School conference. There was no resistance to the resolution, as the event has been funded by GSS for the past two years and the amount of money being requested, $724.22, was the same as last year. 

@E_SkidmoreGS

es320518@ohio.edu