5 ways to get yourself out of a gym rut

We’ve all been there: You made a New Year’s resolution to start going to the gym more, and for the first month of the year, your motivation has been sky-high. Maybe you’ve been going to the gym consistently, eating right, feeling good — and suddenly as February rolls around, you lose all of your motivation, and you’re back to square one. 

Getting back in the groove can take hard work and determination, especially in these cold winter months when you’d much rather stay inside. Here are a few things you can do to get back on track:

Set an early alarm

There’s nothing worse than going to the gym right after class or work, only to find that the gym is almost too crowded to move. If you have to wait for your favorite machines to be open, then you’d probably just rather leave.

To avoid the 5 p.m. rush, set an early alarm, and go to the gym before you start the rest of your day. If you’re really early, you might even have the gym to yourself. Sure, getting up a few hours earlier might seem terrifying, but grab a cup of coffee or tea before, and you’re guaranteed to feel better afterwards. 

Try a new workout 

If you’re doing the same workout each time you go to the gym, you’re likely to get bored quickly. Switching up your workout routine is not only good for your body — it can help you get excited about the gym again. 

If you’re a regular runner, try doing some weight lifting exercises. If you always lift, give your muscles a break with a yoga class or low-weight workout. If you end up not enjoying the new activities, that’s even more reason to get back to the form of exercise you love. 

Find a friend to go with you 

Going to the gym alone can be intimidating at times. When it comes to working out, sometimes two is better than one. 

Bringing a friend with you can help hold you accountable. You’ll be more inclined to push yourself with a friend there to motivate you, and you’ll always have someone there to spot or help with workouts as well.

Get some new workout clothes 

If you’re looking for a reason to treat yourself, this is it. Sometimes getting yourself some new gym clothes can give you that extra push to go. 

Get yourself something that makes you feel comfortable and good in your own skin, so you look and feel amazing while you’re working out. 

Remember your long-term goal

If you made a resolution to get back in the gym and you’re having a hard time getting there, sometimes it’s good to take a step back and remember your long-term goals. If sticking with a routine is something you’re struggling with, it may be a good idea to set smaller goals and work your way up to your end goal. 

Focus on what you can do to improve yourself each time you’re at the gym, whether that’s by decreasing your weight by 5 pounds or running that extra minute. The key is to remember why you started in the first place.  

@BussertMaddie

mb901017@ohio.edu