Ohio gaurd Jason Preston (0) goes up for a layup in the first half of the Bobcat home victory. The Bobcats ended up scorig 77 points, to beat out Miami's 46 points on Saturday Feb. 8, 2020.

Men's Basketball: Numbers that mattered in Ohio's 87-72 loss at Kent State

Ohio had been riding a high it hasn’t enjoyed since its first game. In the midst of a two-game win streak that started with a blowout win over Miami a week ago and then a solid victory against Western Michigan, the Bobcats’ streak came to an end sooner than they wanted in an 87-72 final at Kent State.

The loss now gives the Bobcats their eighth Mid-American Conference loss of the season, but they still aren’t at the bottom of the MAC East Division standings courtesy of the RedHawks.

In the Bobcats’ road loss, sophomore point guard Jason Preston led the way with 20 points, eight rebounds and 12 assists.

53.1 and 54.8 – Ohio’s defense, which as of late had received plenty of praise, faltered at Kent, and allowed the Flashes to shoot 53.1% from the field and 54.8% on 3-pointers. The Bobcats allowed Kent veterans Troy Simons, Antonio Williams and Anthony Roberts to combine for 64 points on a combined 65% from the field.

3 – Freshman Ben Roderick scored just three points in 17 minutes of play off the bench. The 6-foot-5 forward has enjoyed a hot streak and has played a large role in Ohio’s offensive success. Against Miami and Western Michigan, he had 11 and eight points, respectively.

12 – Preston and Ben Vander Plas combined for 12 turnovers against the Flashes, and Ohio had 18 total.

Whats next?

Ohio (12-13, 4-8 MAC) returns to The Convo on Feb. 18 where it’ll host Central Michigan. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu