Swimmers do a start during the 400 Individual Medley during the Ohio University vs. Ball State meet at home. Bobcats won against the Cardinals 188.5 to 110.5 on Saturday, Jan. 25th, 2020.

Swim and Dive: Emilia Lahtinen shines as Ohio defeats Marshall 177-120 on senior night

Ohio ended its dual meet season with a 177-120 win over Marshall. The Bobcats swam at home for the final time this season Friday night and honored their seniors before the meet. 

In what was her last regular season meet as with Ohio, senior Emilia Lahtinen produced yet another fantastic performance, winning two races and putting in strong performances in two more. 

Lahtinen has been one of the most consistent performers this season for the Bobcats, and she showed it once again against the Thundering Herd. Lahtinen won both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke, her two main events. She also placed third in the 200-yard individual medley and was a part of the team that finished second in the 200-yard medley relay.  

“She’s been awesome for us the last couple years,” coach Mason Norman said. “We can count on her to win the races.” 

Lahtinen’s final meet in Athens was one to remember, and despite the emotion that came with it, she was very happy about the way it went. 

“It’s a lot of emotion, of course,” Lahtinen said. “I was very glad I was able to finish it with these girls.” 

The Bobcats have a very young roster, and Lahtinen has emerged as a leader this year at a time when they need one. 

“She’s a great leader,” Norman said. “High energy all the time, and that’s what we coach, and we want our recruits to emulate her. 

Another one of Ohio’s standout performers this year has been diver Taylor Miller, who suffered a concussion in December and missed the Bobcats’ first meet in January. 

In the two meets since the injury, however, she’s dominated. Miller has won three of her four events and took first place in the one-meter dive against Ball State on Jan. 25. On Friday, she finished on top in both the one and three-meter dives against the Herd. 

“Taylor trains hard and has put together a pretty nice list of some challenging dives that are boosting her score,” Norman said. 

With Lahtinen on the swimming side and Miller on the diving side both performing extremely well, Ohio looks to be in prime position for another strong performance in the postseason. 

The Bobcats will be back in action for the Mid-American Conference championships from February 26-29. 

@willocunningham

wc425318@ohio.edu