Ohio's guard CeCe Hooks (No. 3) looks for a pass against The University of Toledo on Feb. 19, 2020.

Women's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 79-76 loss at Akron

Ohio lost its first game in three weeks against Akron at James A. Rhodes Arena on Saturday. The loss dropped the Bobcats to 17-8 and 10-4 in the Mid-American Conference. Ohio still leads the MAC East standings with a two-game lead over Kent State.

Here are the numbers that mattered in Ohio’s 79-76 loss to Akron.

41 — Cece Hooks tied a school record with 41 points Saturday. Hooks shot 17-of-26 from the field and 3-of-5 from beyond the arc in her record-setting performance. She started the game with 24 points in the first half, added 13 in the third quarter and went 2-of-6 in the fourth quarter for her final four points.

Unfortunately for the Bobcats, Hooks fouled out with 1:36 left when Ohio was facing a deficit. The Bobcats finished the game shooting 1-for-7 and didn’t make any field goals without Hooks on the floor.

23 — The Bobcats gave up 23 points in the fourth quarter and blew a six-point lead. Akron shot 8-of-18 from the field and 3-of-7 from 3-point range in the quarter. Ohio couldn’t get anything going and shot 5-of-18 from the field. 

Eleven of the Zips’ 23 points came from forward Jordyn Dawson, who shot 4-of-6 and had six rebounds in the quarter. Dawson led Akron in scoring for the whole game with 20 points. 

16- Ohio was out-rebounded 49-33 on Saturday. It was at its worst in the fourth quarter, when the Bobcats pulled down just six rebounds to Akron’s 17. Ohio actually out-rebounded the Zips in the last matchup between the two teams on Jan. 29. 

What’s next

The Bobcats are back on the road Wednesday to face Bowling Green, who is at the bottom of the MAC standings. Ohio previously beat the Falcons by 10 at home last month.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu