Ohio's Erica Johnson (#4) attempts a shot with pressure from Kent's Katie Shumate (#14) during the home game on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. The bobcats won 63-57. 

Women's Basketball: Takeways from Ohio's 86-58 win over Toledo

Ohio returned to The Convo on Wednesday night to play Toledo, who had won the last two matchups. The Bobcats snapped the streak and won their fourth straight game.

Here are three takeaways from the 86-58 win.

Erica Johnson’s career night

Johnson, who entered the game as a 40.9% shooter from beyond the arc, made eight 3-pointers on 8-of-11 shots from the field. Her shooting was the best of her career, as she set a new career-high for 3-pointers. Johnson also had nine assists and eight rebounds to go along with her 31 points, just one point shy of a career-high. 

Her shots were also timely. Two of her field goals came at the end of the first quarter — one of which tied the game at the buzzer. Johnson also made two 3-pointers during a 14-0 run in the in the third quarter that put Toledo out of the game

Cece Hooks starts shooting

Hooks took advantage of the space defenders give her and shot seven times from beyond the arc, a season-high. While the point guard only made one of those shots, it was a big one that sparked the 14-0 run.

When Hooks is at the 3-point line, defenders are often found in the paint waiting for her to drive. The junior elected to take the space to attempt shots, shooting more 3-pointers than she had in the last three games combined.

Big second half

Toledo was able to stay close for the first half, with a tie game at the end of the first quarter and only a four-point deficit going into half. But Ohio (17-7, 10-3 Mid-American Conference) was too much for the Rockets. The Bobcats went 19-of-33 in the second half and outscored their opponent 55-27. 

With Toledo’s poor shooting, Ohio was able to produce two separate 14-point runs.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu