Scientists have detected radio signals from outer space that repeat every 16 days; ACRN’s Valentine’s Day Prom will take place Friday

Today is Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

A large group of scientists in Canada have detected radio signals from outer space that have repeated every 16 days for over a year. The fast radio bursts (FRBs) are short-lived pulses of radio waves that originated in a spiral galaxy about 500 million light years away. Scientists are unsure of the source of the FRBs, but have been developing theories — suggesting they are nothing more than two stars colliding or extraterrestrial messages. 

According to reports by Science X Network, the repeating pattern “suggests the source could be a celestial body of some kind orbiting around a star or another body.” Likewise, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology released a statement saying it is unlikely to be alien activity because the signals are a sign of energetic events that are on an extreme scale in the cosmos. 

“Even a highly intelligent species would be very unlikely to produce energies like this. And there is no detectable pattern so far that would suggest there’s a sentient hand at play,” the MIT said.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Ohio University Urban Gaming League is teaching teamwork, leadership and decision making through Humans vs. Zombies. (The Post)

ACRN is having a Valentine’s Day Prom at The Union on Friday. (The Post)

Here’s a comparison of all the fry prices in Athens (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

The end of the season is near, and it’s crunch time for Ohio hockey. (The Post)

Athens basketball beat Wellston to become the TVC-Ohio champions. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Grab your coat. Today will be cloudy with a high of 40 degrees and a 60% chance of rain showers in the morning. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Democrat Andrew Yang has ended his run for the 2020 presidential race. (The Washington Post)

Two Ohio State football players were charged with rape and kidnapping on Tuesday. (Eleven Warriors)

Disneyland raised ticket prices, making some one-day admission prices over $200. (Fox News)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu