Athens Mayor Steve Patterson speaks at the Athens City Council meeting on March 2, 2020. (FILE)

City Council: Mayor presents tips for managing potential coronavirus threat

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson addressed City Council on Monday about three ways the Athens City-County Health Department will prepare for potential cases of the coronavirus.

The department is taking three main approaches to handle a potential coronavirus threat: the prevention, preparedness for and resources against disease. 

To prevent the spread of disease, the health department encourages people to wash their hands for 20 seconds, practice “social distancing,” or staying about six feet away from others, and to stay home if they are not feeling well.

Patterson said the health department has been practicing for potential outbreaks since about 2001, including during outbreaks of SARS and MRSA.

“(The health department) feels very confident in the level of training they’ve gone through,” Patterson said.

The health department has resources that can be accessed to find out more about the coronavirus available on its website, as well as on itssocial media platforms

Patterson said that travel plans should be adjusted according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention travel guides.

Patterson also informed City Council about an American flag that is flying on the American Towers cell tower in Athens that appears tattered and at half-mast. American Tower claims that the hoisting mechanism for the flag is inoperable, he said.

Patterson said that the city has found a way to issue American Tower a violation through Title 43 of the Athens Municipal Code, which deals with wireless telecommunication facilities.

@kyraleckrone 

kl290617@ohio.edu