From the Editor's Desk: Hello from next year’s ‘Post’ editors

The past couple of weeks have been a time of change for everyone in different ways. While The Post is finding ways to work together remotely, we still have to move forward with making plans for next year.

This time of year usually includes a lot of training in the newsroom to make sure next year’s staff is ready to go. Working remotely has made that a little difficult for our staff, but these three have been working hard to make it as smooth as possible. They are eager to dive in, hire their staff for next and work on learning the ropes so they can be ready to go when they return to campus and the newsroom in the fall. 

These three were chosen for their leadership skills, ideas to help the staff continue to grow and their work at The Post over the years. For now, I will let them introduce themselves: 

Molly Schramm

Hi guys! My name is Molly Schramm, and I’m so very excited to be The Post’s editor-in-chief next year. I’m currently a junior and the editor of The Beat. The Post has been my home-away-from-home since my freshman year, and since then I’ve specialized in entertainment and lifestyle journalism, as well as film and music criticism.

As editor-in-chief, I can’t wait to take The Post in a more digitally minded way, while continuing to uphold the reputation and legacy of our weekly tabloid. I’d like to take the steps to brand The Post more as a media platform than a simple news publication. Showcasing the pristine writing The Post has always published with inviting multimedia and stark design, The Post will hopefully excel even further as an example of excellence in student journalism. 

Going into my senior year, I couldn’t be more excited to have Baylee and Matt at my side. The Post means the world to me, and I can’t wait to work alongside the talented staff surrounding me to help the publication grow into the best version of itself.   

Baylee DeMuth

Hey everyone! My name is Baylee DeMuth and I’m excited to take on the executive role of managing editor at The Post for the upcoming academic year, as well as my senior year. I’ve written for The Post since my freshman year and have since taken on roles such as a staff writer and the editor of the culture section. 

As managing editor, my goal is to be a constant force in the newsroom and be someone staffers can come to with anything, whether it be help on a story or just to chat. During my time at The Post, I’ve come to learn the importance of persistent communication and reliability, two aspects I plan to emphasize in my new role that will help us better serve our readers.

My time at The Post and as a Bobcat is coming to an end faster than I expected, and I plan to make the most of it by being an ethical, compassionate and approachable leader of a publication I hold near and dear to my heart, alongside Molly and Matt.

Matt Geiger

Hey folks! I’m Matt, and I’m looking forward to being the next digital managing editor of The Post! I am currently the social media director and a columnist here at the paper, as well as a freshman studying economics and political science. The Post has helped make my first year at Ohio University a very enjoyable one. I have already met so many lifelong friends and made so many amazing memories and cannot wait to continue doing so over the next three years. 

As the next digital managing editor, my vision is to lift The Post to new heights by pushing the boundaries of what the internet has to offer. I want this publication to create unique, digitally engaging content that goes beyond the written word and into the world of data visualization. I also want to use the digital tools at our disposal to reach new audiences and demographics. This includes building upon the foundation I created as social media director by increasing the usage of other social media platforms, like Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok. 

What I care about the most, however, is doing all that I can over the next year to ensure that my friends and fellow Bobcats at The Post are put in the best possible position to produce the best possible content. I want to give back to the paper and the people that have already given me so much. I look forward to working alongside Baylee and Molly and can’t wait to get started. 

If you would like to talk to Molly, Baylee or Matt you can email them at ms660416@ohio.edu, bd575016@ohio.edu and mg568618@ohio.edu, respectively. Please note that the views of columnists do not reflect those of The Post.