Ohio's Hunter Yeargan wrestles Utah Valley's Ashton Seely on Feb. 21, 2020 in The Convo.

Wrestling: Ohio set to compete in Mid-American Conference Championship

Ohio’s regular season has ended and now it will wrestle for the Mid-American Conference Championship this weekend. Ohio ended the regular season with a 9-8 record and a 5-4 record in the MAC.

Here is the information for this weekend: 

Tournament Location: Northern Illinois Convocation Center

Tournament Dates: All day Mar. 6 and Mar. 7. 

What’s happened so far: 

The Bobcats are looking to capture their first MAC championship since 2001. Last season, the Bobcats finished fifth with 99.5 points in the championship. While they finished in the middle of the standings, they have the talent necessary to compete in the championship. Led by Shakur Laney, Alec Hagan and Zac Carson, Ohio has a chance to make school history. 

Tournament information: 

Laney has been Ohio’s best wrestler this season, as he has been consistently ranked in the top-25 in the nation. He is the No. 6 seed in the 141-pound weight class. While Laney is not as higher seeded as expected, he will be the key piece for Ohio as he has a good shot at winning his weight class. 

Hagan had a breakout year with the Bobcats. Hagan saw some time ranked in the top-25 and has been a consistent presence for Ohio all season. He was seeded at No. 5 for the 149-pound weight class. Last year, Hagan finished fourth in the MAC championship, so he looks to build off of last year's results.

Carson is the Bobcats highest seed, as he is ranked No. 2 for the 157-pound weight class. Carson finished fourth in last year's MAC championship. Carson, who was slightly injured for the month of February, hopes that the time off helped him. 

Laney, Hagan and Carson have all helped Ohio get to where it is, and it hopes that they can help it win its first MAC championship in 19 years. 

@Willshep13

ws905818@ohio.edu