Ohio infielder Alex Day (#10) throws a fielded ball to first base Bobcats game against Northern Kentucky on March 26 at the Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats beat the Norse 3-1. 

Softball: Bobcats pick up 3 wins in Courtyard Marriott Barefoot Landing Invitational

After last week’s three-win weekend at the 2020 Charleston Invitational, the Bobcats won another three of five games at the 2020 Courtyard Marriott Barefoot Landing Invitational.

Here’s what happened this weekend:

Friday: Games 1 and 2

The Bobcats started strong on Friday by defeating Maryland Eastern Shore 10-1.

Katie Yun got the ball rolling for the Bobcats with an RBI single in the bottom of the first inning. After Maryland Eastern Shore scored in the top of the third inning to make the score 5-1, Yun got the run back for Ohio with a lead-off home run in the bottom of the third.

Yun ended Game 1 by going 3-for-3 with two RBIs. Brooke Rice also hit a home run and earned two RBIs.

The Bobcats couldn’t keep up with Coastal Carolina in an 8-3 loss in Game 2.

With the bases loaded in the top of the third inning and Ohio down 1-0, Caroline Spacek singled up the middle and scored two runs. Coastal Carolina responded with five runs off three home runs to make it a 6-2 game. 

Coastal Carolina added two more runs in the fifth inning. Ohio scored one final run, thanks to an RBI single by Sophia Bernard to make the final score 8-3.

Saturday: Games 3 and 4

Ohio lost by a slim 2-1 margin against Monmouth in Game 3.

Monmouth scored two runs off an RBI single in the third inning. Ohio threatened to score multiple times but couldn’t get runners home until the sixth inning. Rice drew a walk with the bases loaded to score Ohio’s only run of the game.

In Game 4, the Bobcats got their revenge in a 13-5 win over Coastal Carolina.

Yun once again kickstarted Ohio’s offense with an RBI double that brought home Allie Englant from third. Yun scored after Spacek reached on an error. Coastal Carolina scored four runs on four hits in the bottom of the first inning to make the score 4-2.

The Bobcats blew the game open in the second and third innings by scoring 11 total runs. In the top of the third inning with no outs, Yun hit a grand slam to make the score 13-5. Neither team scored following Yun’s grand slam, and the game was called after five innings.

Sunday: Game 5

Yun kept her incredible weekend going in Sunday’s 3-1 win over USC Upstate.

With two runners on after a walk and a error, Yun got Ohio’s first hit Sunday with a three-run home run. 

USC Upstate tacked on a home run of their own in the bottom of the fifth to cut the deficit to 3-1.

Neither team scored in the final innings. The Bobcats earned their third victory of the weekend.

Up Next

The Bobcats travel to Madeira Beach, Florida, on March 7-8 for THE Spring Games. They will face St. Bonaventure, Iowa, South Dakota State and Merrimack.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu