Baker University Center at Ohio University. (Nate Swanson | For The Post).

OU cancels all summer travel programs

Ohio University announced Friday that all summer travel programs will be canceled due to global health advisories for the coronavirus.

The cancellation applies to all upcoming domestic and international study-away programs, travel with third-party providers and other global experiences, according to the Office of Global Opportunities, or OGO, website.

OU made the decision based upon guidance from the university’s public health official that global levels and advisories are unlikely to decrease, according to an email from OGO to all summer program students. 

Trips were canceled early to give students the opportunity to find alternative summer plans.

Students who already paid their deposit for summer programs will receive a refund, according to the email. Students who purchased their own airfare, however, will need to contact their travel providers to cancel or rebook flights. 

OGO encourages students to cite university travel restrictions when canceling or rebooking those flights.

OGO also encourages students to reach out to their academic advisers or program directors with any questions or concerns for lost summer credits.

This decision comes after OU canceled all current Spring Semester travel programs on Thursday and the Marching 110’s trip to Japan March 5. Students who were going to study abroad in Italy and South Korea over spring break also had their trips canceled March 3.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu