9 songs for your social-distancing ears

There’s nothing quite like a recommended quarantine or self-isolation to kick off one’s spring, especially if the end of the tunnel isn’t anywhere in sight. While it may be difficult to remain positive with everything going on in the world, music seems to be a pacifying constant. 

Songs across genres have provided a sense of stability for listeners — they have for years — but they’ve also been used for charity, raising awareness and general listening. Following Hurricane Katrina, Lil Wayne organized a festival of concerts to raise funds for New Orleans. Events for other disasters have followed, each designed with a purpose to instill a sense of community and support. The primary difference between then and now is the time frame — all those events came after the events, not during.

Here are some tunes to help put the deafening silence on hold during this period of social distancing:

Upbeat and feel-good songs

“Boss B----” by Doja Cat

After becoming increasingly popular on TikTok, this absolute bop gained traction following several trends. Featured on the soundtrack for Birds of Prey starring Margot Robbie, the song's popularity has only continued to flourish. The fast beat elevates moods, and learning all the words is strangely satisfying and will no doubt make you feel like a boss b----.

“My Type” by Saweetie

Go hard or go home right? If you’re looking to party the night away with your small circle of friends, this song is just for you. Turn up the volume all the way and have fun. Hip-hop is changing, and “My Type” shows the genre will only be traveling in one direction: upward.

“Physical” by Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa knew exactly what she was doing when she kicked off the new year by dropping this song. “Physical” provides an updated definition for what to expect in the pop genre, which is no small feat after her previous songs have set that bar. If you want to get your blood pumping, this song is the perfect opportunity.

Generally groovy

“Talk (feat. Disclosure)” by Khalid

If a strong beat and groovy lyrics is something you want, this one’s for you. After spending 46 weeks on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, “Talk” remains one of Khalid’s most successful songs to date. The song details the beginning of a relationship and the desire to go slow and simply talk. 

”If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys

There’s no better time for a blast to the past than being holed up in your home for a few days, right?  With just over 420 million streams on Spotify, the 2003 song solidified Keys in the music spotlight. “If I Ain’t Got You” is great if you’re in the mood for romance and reminiscing. 

“Don’t Stop The Music” by Rihanna

This Rihanna track is another dose of nostalgia for your ever-secluded afternoon, but a classic nonetheless. While Rihanna hasn’t released any songs in a while, there’s nothing wrong with a good throwback, especially when everyone knows the lyrics. If you want a song that is appreciated by all, keep this one in the running. The song still packs the punch it did after being released nearly two decades ago, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon.

Down in the dumps, but not for long

“Good Thing (feat. Kehlani)” by Zedd

Sometimes being alone is everything you need, and that’s OK — Kehlani feels the same way in this song, too. “Good Thing” doesn’t focus on the negatives of being single. It instead brings the positives to light. Not only does she point out that she feels more free, she also has been able to discover what she wants out of life, and she’s OK with that. 

“Strawberries and Cigarettes” by Troye Sivan

For those who are in the mood to over-analyze a past relationship, give this song a listen and leave it on repeat. While the song was originally written for the movie Love, Simon, it’s not bound in its significance. There are moments that spark memories of previous relationships for lots of people every day, and Sivan clearly understood that and wanted others to know as well.

“Ribs” by Lorde

If there was one song to summarize the teenage experience, Lorde’s “Ribs” is it. If you really wanted to go through your high school and early college memories, the track would play in the background and be completely appropriate. Don’t let the song get you down, but instead use it to lift you up as you get back on track.

@JackHiltner

jh396418@ohio.edu

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director