Spring break essentials for the homebody and the sunbather

Spring break typically involves some sort of traveling, but it doesn’t have to. Packing for traveling or going home is no small feat, and you’re bound to forget a few essentials. A plane or home can be a scary thing but with this quick list, packing will be a breeze. Here are the items or things to do for spring break whether you’re staying in or going out:

Staying in?

Pillow

Everyone has a favorite pillow and going home without it would make for some restless nights. Avoid that and pack your pillow because making your childhood bed as comfortable as possible is spring break survival.

Self-care items

Going from being able to smack deep-fried mac-n-cheese bites from Union Street Diner at 1 a.m. to telling your parents where you’re going on a Saturday can be frustrating. It’s important to self-care, especially if you’re not doing anything. 

The series you’ve been putting off or a book you want to read

Spring break is the time to sit back and relax. Binge-watch the show or shows that assignments have been preventing you from getting to. Or if TV shows and movies aren’t your thing, try reading a book. Now that the weather is nicer, reading outside with a beverage is always a good option.

Homework

Hold the groan. By day two, boredom sets in so why not do some homework and get ahead? Future you will be thanking you when the finals start to pile up.

Sleep

The 9 a.m. doesn’t exist for a week. Take advantage of the break and sleep in. 

Going out?

Extra phone charger

It’s inevitable that you will lose your phone charger in the packing process, or it will break and fray. The spares from the airport are fine in a pinch, but they’re not worth the price. Invest in an extra from Apple and future you will thank you when you’re at the beach and your phone is at 1%. If you’re feeling extra travel savvy, pick up a power pack to charge your devices on the go. 

Reusable water bottle

It’s important to hydrate while traveling. Bringing a water bottle to the beach or the night life is a good idea because saltwater and alcohol are notorious factors for dehydrated skin. Staying hydrated and healthy is a spring break necessity—so is saving the planet. 

Clothes that match the weather

Wherever the destination, clothes matching the weather is an essential thing to have. If a beach is involved, make sure to pack extra swimsuits, flip flops, casual clothes, beach towels and a change of shoes. If a big city is involved, make sure to pack comfortable shoes, camera and casual clothes. It’s important to be mindful of the weather changes and pack umbrellas, rain jackets and hats. The last thing a group wants is to get stuck in poor weather and be unprepared.

Appropriate documents

When traveling domestically or abroad, it’s important to have the right documents. Make sure to pack a passport if needed, a driver’s license, plane tickets, credit cards and cash. 

Sunscreen and aloe

Slapping on sunscreen before a day in the blistering sun is prevention at its finest. The sun is bound to burn the skin no matter how many times sunscreen is reapplied, so packing aloe is a good idea. Be mindful when packing sunscreen and aloe if a flight is involved; liquids can be tricky.

Medication

Medication may be a forgotten item when packing, but it’s an important item. The last thing you want is to be stranded in another country without your medication. 

Condoms

Spring break typically involves alcohol and sex. 15- to 24-year-olds “acquire half of all new STDs” and “one in four sexually-active adolescent females has an STD, such as chlamydia, or human papillomavirus (HPV),” according to CDC’s 2018 sexually transmitted disease surveillance data. When enjoying spring break, you should protect yourself from STDs by engaging in safe sex. Everyone should carry condoms on them, so there’s no excuse for forgetting one.  

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu