After three years, Youtuber AJayII has racked up half a million subscribers from her reactions to music-related content. (Photo provided via @itsajayII on Instagram)

YouTube’s ‘AJayII’ is the perfect combination of musical insight, humor

Three years ago, when YouTuber AJayII uploaded her first reaction video that featured an outburst of emotion and a blatant love for the music she was listening to, neither she nor anyone else knew it was the beginning of the reaction queen’s reign. 

Flash forward to now, Ajay has eclipsed half a million subscribers and grown much more comfortable in front of the camera while continuing to provide plenty of laughs that will result in you wanting to immediately go to her next video over and over again. It’ll only take a few minutes of watching to see why she deserves every view she gets.

Ajay does a combination of thorough reactions to entire albums, singles, music videos and whatever other music-related content on which fans desire to hear her perspective. For album reactions, she’ll go through each track, only playing a snippet so her video doesn’t get removed for copyright. She showcases her initial reactions, which usually consist of amusing outbursts, before analyzing the song completely. She can be aggressive — which, really, is one of the best parts about it — and her brutal honesty mixed with her priceless facial expressions and laugh-out-loud hilarious phrases makes it all the more better. 

Ajay is just a YouTuber trying to express her love for music, something countless people hold near and dear to their hearts. She is a prime example of what passion for something can become — and for Ajay, her incredible love for pop music transformed into the most worthwhile channel on YouTube.

Though Ajay has no bad video by any means, there are three that epitomize why her videos are the textbook definition of self-care. They’re just too good not to improve your day:

Lorde - Melodrama Album |REACTION|

Noteworthy phrase from the video: “Girl, when she said she was going home to the arms of the only girl she hasn’t screwed up yet, I was like, ‘LORDIE, I didn’t know you fished in the lady pond.’ But then she cleared it up. She was talking about herself.”

A mere few months after her first reaction, Ajay let it all loose, much to viewers’ relief, in her reaction to Lorde’s Melodrama. Ajay wholly enjoyed every track, which is rare because she usually finds something she can roast — but not this time around. Ajay pointed out all the little things in the track and a couple times said the E in Lorde stands for “extra” because she created 11 straight masterpieces on the album. It’s definitely a video to watch when you need some cheering up, and it’s Ajay’s best video to date.

Justin Bieber - Yummy |REACTION|

Noteworthy phrase from the video: “What is this kindergarten s---? Hold up. All right, ‘Baby shark,’ doo doo doo doo doo doo, got competition.”

Ajay began her reaction video to Justin Bieber’s single “Yummy” with hope, and she shouldn’t have. It doesn’t take more than a few seconds into the song for every ounce of excitement she had to completely diminish. After the first listen through, she watched the lyric video and was appalled by the “Kidz Bop” lyrics that she saw. In her later review of Bieber’s full album, Changes, she is almost as entirely let down as she was with this single. Ajay is clearly not riding the Bieber train at the moment.

Ed Sheeran - Divide Album |REACTION|

Noteworthy phrase from the video: “I don’t see no sunlight up in here because it’s shade, shade, shade. He threw shade at that man’s a------.”

After going through Ed Sheeran’s entire discography — which, up to the point of the video, did not include No.6 Collaborations Project — she finally ended up on Divide, and it absolutely floored her to say the least. Her mostly non-verbal yet still very emotional reactions to “Dive” and “Perfect,” in particular, are priceless. The entire video is an emotional rollercoaster but one worth undertaking because you’ll never be able to guess what comes next from Ajay, and that’s what makes it so infectious.

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu