Head coach Jeff Boals cheers during a conference game against Central Michigan University at the Convo on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2020. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Meet the 3 players who joined Ohio during the late signing period

After Ohio’s trip to Cleveland in the Mid-American Conference Tournament was cut short due to the coronavirus pandemic, coach Jeff Boals went to work securing a host of fresh talent for his second season with the Bobcats.

Ohio added two transfers and one freshman to its roster during the late signing period to fill the gaps left by Jordan Dartis and Sylvester Ogbonda, the only two seniors from the Bobcats’ roster last season.

"We have added three more high character young men to our program to go along with the two we signed in the fall," Boals said in a statement from ohiobobcats.com.

Here’s a rundown of the three signees who joined Ohio during the late signing period:

Rifen Miguel

Miguel is a 6-foot, 8-inch, 240-pound forward from Luanda, Angola, and spent his previous season at Tallahassee Community College. While playing for Tallahassee, Miguel averaged 7.8 points, 4.2 rebounds and shot 46.2 percent from the field. He was also named second-team All-Panhandle Conference.

In his debut at Tallahassee, Miguel scored 15 points and pulled seven rebounds against Florida State College-Jacksonville.

Miguel also played for Angola’s U19 team in the 2017 FIBA Basketball World Cup, where he averaged 7.4 points and 3.9 rebounds. Miguel was second on the Angolan team for points per game.

Dwight Wilson

Wilson is a 6-foot, 8-inch, forward from Tallahassee, Florida, who is transferring to Ohio after spending three seasons at James Madison. Last season, he averaged 9.8 points and 9.3 rebounds per game while shooting 53.4 percent from the field.

Wilson led Lincoln High School to three district championships, the 2015-16 state semifinals and the school’s first ever state title game. Wilson left Lincoln with more than 1,500 points and 1,000 rebounds.

Due to the transfer rules of the NCAA, Wilson is forced to sit out the 2020-21 season but will be eligible for the 2021-22 season.

Sam Towns

Towns is a 6-foot, 9-inch, forward from Winchendon Prep School in Winchendon, Massachusetts, and was named first team All-New England Prep School Athletic Council. The Columbus native averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds and four assists last season.

Towns is also the younger brother of Leon Rodgers, who has played professionally in various international leagues for 18 years. 

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu