Members of the Student Senate listen to theater students at Ohio University speak out against the poor conditions of Kantner Hall at the Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Student Senate: University plans to move all residents to Tanaka and Luchs Halls

Jason Pina, vice president of Student Affairs, told Student Senate on Wednesday all 200 residents that are still living in residence halls will be moved to Tanaka Hall and Luchs Hall. 

Each resident will have a double size room with cleaning supplies provided by the university. Lounge furniture in both residence halls will be removed, as to prevent any temptation of social gatherings, along with spreading COVID-19. There have been zero issues so far, Pina said. 

Baker University Center has been closed as of last Saturday, but Pina reminded students and Athens locals the Bobcat food pantry, Cats’ Cupboard, is doing curbside pickup. The university is asking for more donations since there has been an increase in demand because of the coronavirus. Senate is planning to do a fundraiser to help increase the supply of food for the community.  

Senate also discussed “Take Back the Night,” which will be promoted on social media from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday instead of taking place on College Green due to the coronavirus. 

“We’re trying our best to support the Bobcat community through this,” President Lydia Ramlo said. 

Ramlo also answered some lingering questions about Satisfactory/Fail grading policies. 

When asked if a Satisfactory grade will override a student’s first grade when they are retaking a course to increase their GPA, Ramlo said the matter is still being discussed. An update will be given soon, she said.

For summer classes, first session classes will be held exclusively online since the peak of COVID-19 isn’t projected until mid-May. If that projection is correct, second session classes are still being discussed and may or may not be in-person.

Senate also gave the Bobcat Medal, a reward for outstanding community members in Athens, to the owners of Avalanche Pizza, John Gutekanst and Debra Rentz for their efforts in giving free meals to Athens school students at The Plains Library.

@ritchey_grant 

gr619615@ohio.edu