New South dorms on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio.

Students remaining in on-campus housing moved to Tanaka, Luchs halls

Ohio University students who were approved to stay in university housing following the university’s suspension of in-person classes were moved into new dorms last week. 

The 154 students living in residence halls for the remainder of Spring Semester were relocated to Tanaka and Luchs halls to make housing operations more efficient, university spokesperson Carly Leatherwood said in an email. 

The relocation also allows for social distancing measures to be better followed, as the buildings have multiple entrances, and students have been given separate rooms and share bathrooms with only one other person.

Leatherwood also said this measure reduces the number of employees managing facilities on campus and consolidates meal delivery to one building. Culinary Services are delivering meals to students who are approved to live on-campus and have chosen a modified meal plan, she said.

Cheyenne Knavel, a freshman studying political science who chose to remain on campus, said she was notified last Wednesday to move out of Washington Hall and into Luchs Hall by Monday afternoon.

Social distancing has not been an issue on campus, Knavel said.

“I am able to social distance easily. There’s definitely a lot of space in the dorm. Campus is very quiet. There’s really not many people, and it’s beautiful outside, so distancing has not been too difficult,” Knavel said in an email. 

All in all, she is happy she’s been able to remain in Athens.

“Although there have been difficulties throughout this time, I am so thankful to have stayed on campus. There have also been some great people here that have helped … when other communication was lacking during this process,” Knavel said in an email. 

@kirstenthomas36

kt531818@ohio.edu