Members of the campus and community participate in the annual “Take Back the Night” march on Thursday which concludes the two days of events that focused on the survivors of sexual domestic violence and shares their experiences.

Virtual Take Back the Night demonstrates survivor support in social media takeover

Since 1979, Take Back the Night has taken place in Athens as an empowering march intended to demonstrate alliance with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking and harassment. This year, due to the coronavirus pandemic with strict limits on social gatherings, the event will be moved to a digital platform with a ‘social media takeover’ on Twitter. 

The event is a collaborative effort among the Ohio University Student Senate and the Women's Center. It is co-sponsored by My Sister's Place and Survivor Advocacy Outreach Program, as well as the following OU offices: the Survivor Advocacy Program, Health Promotion, Counseling and Psychological Services, Graduate Student Senate, and Housing and Residence Life. 

Typically, the three-hour event typically begins with an art exhibit, consisting of art created by survivors. The exhibit is then followed by speeches made by survivors and allies, and the night ends with a symbolic march. 

Mathew Hall, assistant director of the Health Promotion for Sexual Prevention, has served on the planning committee for the event since 2016. Hall described the changes that the event will undergo due to the pandemic. 

“The planning committee and other offices on campus will be engaging the community on Twitter with a virtual “walk” while also highlighting campus resources, survivor art and opportunities for creating culture change,” Hall said in an email. 

Kimberly Castor, the director of the Survivor Advocacy Program, is also a member of the planning committee. Castor explained that the participation on social media, through guided topical hashtags, amplifies the support for survivors.

“Events such as Take Back the Night provide the opportunity to elevate survivor voices and speak openly about the issue of sexual assault,” Castor said in an email. “So we are asking people to tweet messages of survivor support and about the importance of sexual assault awareness.”

M. Geneva Murray, the director of the women’s center, expressed that while the transition to a digital platform was difficult, it was imperative that the event still take place. 

“We had options. I think the easy option would have been for us to cancel,” Murray said. “But that is not an option for us because we want to continue our commitment to survivors regardless of the framework.”

In fact, Murray believed it was even more significant to hold the event this year, given the possibility that individuals could be forced to stay in potentially violent households.

“Just because the pandemic is happening, doesn’t mean that we should stop centering survivor’s voices,” Murray said. “In particular, we know that with stay-at-home orders, there have been news reports saying that there will be an increase in domestic violence incidents because people could be staying in unsafe environments.”

Despite the negative possibilities from the pandemic, Murray illustrated the benefits that this transition can manifest for those who participate. 

“There are a lot of opportunities that come from having a virtual event,” Murray said. “People who haven’t been able to participate in the past, may be able to now. It also allows for a more anonymous participation for those who may not want to attend physically due to concern of possibly outing themselves.”

Regardless of this year’s format, Hall articulated that the event’s core importance is still fully illuminated, to bring awareness to and show support for survivors.

“Take Back the Night is one of the most visible, long-standing sexual assault response, prevention, and awareness events in Athens,” Hall said in an email. “This event has become an essential way of lifting up and amplifying the voices of survivors, especially those who may not otherwise have an opportunity to share their stories, and it is an important way for our community to continually reaffirm its support for ending violence.”

Students may contact CPS any time by calling 740-593-1616 or visiting the CPS website.

@laureneserge

ls351117@ohio.edu