The ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ season finale came with many twists and turns. (Photo provided via @howtogetawaywithmurder on Instagram)

TV Review: The biggest twist was saved for the series finale on 'How to Get Away with Murder'

We have finally arrived at the final episode of How to Get Away with Murder — and what an episode it was.

Following Annalise’s (Viola Davis) testimony last week, she again appeared in court to plead her case to the jury. The governor and Laurel’s (Karla Souza) father appeared to testify against her, making her prospects of winning dim. However, Frank (Charlie Weber) angrily sought the truth after learning that his parents were Sam and Hannah Keating.

Frank was able to find a flash drive containing evidence of Hannah Keating conspiring in court. He also persuaded Gabriel (Rome Flynn) with money to not testify against Annalise.

Finally, Nate (Billy Brown) testified that Hannah Keating had set him up to frame Annalise. When Annalise asked why he did it, he said he was partly to blame for everything that happened between them and was hoping to truly move on.

In an impassioned speech, Annalise took her “mask off” and revealed who she was to the jury: a proud, black, bisexual woman who made many mistakes but never murdered anyone. The jury found her not guilty on all counts.

Meanwhile, Connor (Jack Falahee) divorced Oliver (Conrad Ricamora) after Oliver secured a no-jail-time plea deal for Connor in exchange for testimony against Annalise. Connor knew he had to do the right thing and ended up going to jail for five years, while thanking Oliver for “showing him how to love.”

Michaela (Aja Naomi King) avoided jail time but was outcast by the group because of Oliver’s anger and Laurel leaving. 

After the trial, Annalise gave an interview on the courthouse stairs. While speaking, Frank appeared and shot the governor but was also shot alongside Bonnie (Liza Weil). Annalise was consumed with grief.

Finally, in a flash forward, it was revealed that Annalise wasn’t killed (as previously thought from the season premiere) but died of old age after a long, happy life. Nate opened a center for justice in his father’s name and the Keating 4 (Oliver, Connor, Michaela and Laurel) were at her funeral.

The individual presumed to be Wes turned out to be Christopher, Laurel and Wes’ son. He ended up teaching “How to Get Away with Murder” just like Annalise at Middleton Law.

Here’s how fans reacted to the final episode on Twitter:

@huntergraffice

hg551416@ohio.edu