Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

Fall Semester to become remote in November

Ohio University President Duane Nellis announced Friday the university will deliver the end of Fall Semester remotely starting in mid-November as part of the coronavirus return plan.

The last day for on-campus activities and classes will be November 20. Students will leave campus that weekend and finish the rest of the semester as well as all final exams remotely.

The change will also eliminate fall break “to reduce student travel during the semester,” according to a university-wide email.

The change is a part of a report and recommendations from OU’s Coordinating Council that were submitted Monday. The report was also shared with OU’s Board of Trustees Friday, according to a previous Post report

Nellis said the report was accepted and the university is moving toward implementation. 

OU will also be altering its move-in processes to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Additional move-in days will be added to allow for social distancing. Check-in points will be on each campus green to minimize contact, according to the email.

A plan to reduce the density of dorms is also being developed. Dining halls will begin with carry-out and online ordering options only, and dine-in will be reintroduced if feasible.

Options of remote work are also being developed for those who are at a high risk of catching COVID-19 or developing complications. Plans for those alternatives will be announced in “the coming days,” according to the email.

“We are working diligently to meet our community’s needs as we balance risk while advancing our academic mission,” Nellis said in the email. “We have benefited greatly from innovative and creative learning experiences that were necessary in the initial months of the COVID-19 pandemic, and these will continue to be part of the solution for the foreseeable future as we ease back into in-person educational experiences.”

The full report can be viewed on OU’s website.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu