Cutler Hall on Ohio University's campus in Athens, Ohio. (FILE)

OU eliminates additional 81 employee positions

Ohio University announced Tuesday that 81 employee positions were being eliminated due to the university’s financial struggles and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

After reorganizing university departments, OU anticipates to rehire employees in 23 of those positions. A total of 58 positions are expected to be permanently eliminated.

The reduction includes 63 classified positions, 17 administrative positions and one hourly research position, which was considered unclassified. Previously, classified employees were the only group to not be impacted by layoffs, according to a university press release. 

A total of 44 positions in Arts and Sciences were eliminated as part of an “administrative support reorganization” within the college. The reorganization will create 20 new classified jobs and three administrative positions.

The positions will be filled by current employees, according to the release. Once the positions are filled, 43 classified staff positions, 14 administrative positions and the non-classified research position will be permanently empty.

Classified employees impacted by the cut received a 14-day notice followed and severance benefits based on their years of service, according to the release. Administrators were notified of their position’s elimination 90 days prior and were also given severance benefits. 

“Most of the institution’s operating costs are in personnel, which has necessitated difficult decisions that we recognize have a significant impact on our employees, their families, and the communities in which we serve,” according to the release. “This is a painful time for our entire community, especially for those whose jobs have been affected. We are truly sorry for the personal and professional impact on each of these individuals.”

OU is providing former employees with one year of post-employment tuition waivers, extended dependent educational benefits to those who are eligible and admitted to programs and third-party services for employment transitions. 

Those same employment services were given to instructional faculty and other university employees who were given non-renewal notices on their contracts, according to a previous Post report.

This round of cuts is part of a longer string of employee reductions that began in May.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu