Athens quarterback, Joey Moore (#14), runs the ball while pushing Wellston defense off of him. Athens won 34-18 on Oct. 18, 2019.

High School Football: Athens begins shortened season against Alexander

For the longest time, Athens’ season seemed doomed to end before it began. 

The coronavirus pandemic made school athletics an uncertainty all summer. Gov. Mike DeWine only recently greenlit the fall sports season under a mountain of safety precautions. Regardless, Athens will play in 2020.

Second-year head coach Nathan White and the Bulldogs will inaugurate their shortened 2020 season on the road against Alexander on Friday. Athens’ scant six game schedule ensures each game matters even more than it did last season. The OHSAA playoffs begin Oct. 9, so there won’t be any room to bounce back should Athens lose to Alexander.

Their schedule isn’t much to fear though. Despite its 5-5 finish last season, Athens had little trouble in conference play and went 4-1 in the Tri-Valley Conference. Five of the Bulldogs’ six opponents are in the TVC this season. 

Returning quarterback Joey Moore also strengthens Athens’ chances of tacking on another win against Alexander. Moore had a combined 3,161 yards and 35 touchdowns last season and was the key to much of Athens’ success in 2019.

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Game information:

Opponent: Alexander

Venue: Alexander Spartans Stadium

How to listen: 970 WATH will have a broadcast for the game.

Notes:

• Athens defeated Alexander 28-6 last season, with Moore going 14-19 with two touchdowns and 242 passing yards.
  • Athens has beaten Alexander for four consecutive years, including shutout wins in 2017 and 2018.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu