Adonis Fryer: The DNC Needs More Democrats

The 2020 election will be one of the most significant in American history, and it will symbolize not just the future of the United States, but also how the Democratic Party will look for many elections that follow. Clarifying the democratic platform will be essential to its nominee Joe Biden’s chances in the fall, because he’s clearly stated that he intends to be a “transitional” candidate

What he’s transitioning to, though, is unclear after watching the Democratic National Convention. It's concerning to watch his campaign’s attempts to reach across the aisle, as this may leave core voters behind and compromise democratic values.

For starters, it’s baffling that Republicans were given more prime-time slots than up-and-coming progressives. An egregious example of this mistake is giving John Kasich, former tea party governor of Ohio, a four-minute spot while giving Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a young democratic leader, a 60-second slot. 

This is bizarre considering that as governor, Kasich rode to power on the hyper conservative tea-party wave, fought and ultimately lost a crusade against worker’s bargaining power, slashed public school budgets and signed one of the most restrictive anti-abortion laws in the country.

The woman he’s getting four more times airtime than is a perfect foil. 

Ocasio-Cortez rode to popularity in the blue tsunami of 2018 that brought a wave of young, progressives of color. She champions worker’s rights and is the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. Because of her rising reputation and staunch activism, it’s absurd that she is being relegated while a former adversary is being promoted. 

The Democratic Party could and needs to be different, but these speakers are emboldening the same personality politics that took focus in 2016, placing an emphasis on Biden and Trump, not right and wrong. This is apparent because these speakers aren’t endorsing the Democratic doctrine, but only endorsing Biden.

This is clear mismanagement on the Democrats' part. Allowing these hard-line conservatives to rehabilitate their images as reasonable moderates is disrespectful to those who lost lives and loved ones from their policies. By giving this propaganda a stage at the DNC convention, the establishment is rehabilitating Kasich’s toxic legacy while allowing him to attack their future stars.

Remember, these Republicans were complicit in their party’s rightward turn that is no longer based around ideology, but instead, has become a cult of alt-right personalities obsessed with loyalty to Donald Trump’s fragile ego. 

For example, consider this excerpt from Kasich’s speech: “I’m sure there are Republicans and Independents who couldn’t imagine crossing over to support a Democrat. They fear Joe may turn sharp left and leave them behind. I don’t believe that because I know the measure of the man. It’s reasonable, faithful, respectful, and, you know, no one pushes Joe around.”

These endorsements are a grave mistake because the challenges of our time are far bigger than the character of two old white men, and these conservative endorsements aren’t interested in changing national discourse, but simply regaining their party from its current demagogue.

Instead of focusing energy on attracting voters who might crossover, Democrats should focus on energizing their core voters who couldn’t care less about people like Kasich, but do care about Medicare for All, marijuana legalization, criminal justice reform, closing the wealth gap and solving racial injustices.

Ultimately, Democrats need to learn from their past mistakes and successes.

When they won big in 2008, electing the nation’s first Black president with 69.5 million votes, the largest ever received for a presidential candidate, they promised sweeping changes.

When they lost narrowly in 2016, failing to elect Hillary Clinton, they were accused of being complacent, uninspiring and lacking the ability to energize their base.

None of this is to say that the choice between the Biden/Harris ticket and the Trump/Pence ticket is unclear or murky—it’s not. But it’s to say that Biden needs to understand that the future of the party looks browner, more like Ocasio-Cortez than Kasich. Because for the first time in American history, the majority of children under 15 are non-white. 

Once you combine these demographic changes, the massive grassroots Black Lives Matter movement, the collapse of the Trump economy and the current climate crisis, the case for moderation becomes underwhelming.

In this moment where Republicans lunge farther right, openly embracing conspiracy theories and white supremacists, Democrats need to be firm in standing their moral ground because voters deserve more than another pick between two evils.

Adonis Fryer is a sophmore studying communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Adonis by emailing him at af414219@ohio.edu.