Mid-American Conference postpones 2020-2021 fall sports

UPDATE: This story has been updated following a press conference held by the Mid-American Conference

After a summer of waiting, the Mid-American Conference has decided to cancel its football season this fall due to health concerns from COVID-19. 

The news was first reported by Stadium’s Brett McMurphy. 

The MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision, or FBS, conference to cancel its season. Other conferences, such as the Big Ten and ACC, elected to play a conference-only schedule last month. The MAC held out longer than most in hopes to figure out a way to play the season safely, but losing out on potential non-conference games also put a major financial strain on the conference’s finances. 

Ohio was looking to come into 2020 and make a run at the MAC title. The team was returning nine defensive starters, and the offense was full of talent. There are many questions left to answer about eligibility, coaches’ salaries, and how hard of a hit Ohio’s athletic department will take after a summer of cancellations. This story will continue to evolve and update.

MAC commissioner John Steinbrecher said in a press conference that the MAC intends to postpone all fall sports until spring. The decision was put to a vote by the MAC Council of Presidents and voted unanimously to postpone the season.

“The virus will have a say whether we can go forward with these plans (playing in the spring), Steinbrecher said. This isn’t a financial decision. It’s a health & well-being decision." 

All fall sports, including football, volleyball, soccer, field hockey, men’s and women’s golf and men’s and women’s cross country will be postponed until spring 2021.

@JL_Kirven

jk810916@ohio.edu