TikTok sues the Trump administration; here’s what OU’s Welcome Week has planned

Today is Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

TikTok has reportedly sued President Donald Trump’s administration in response to banning transactions with parent company ByteDance.

The lawsuit says that Trump’s order violates due process protections, exceeds the scope of sanctions rules and offers no evidence for its claims that TikTok presents a national security threat. It also proposes that Trump ignored TikTok’s cooperation with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States.

In a press release, TikTok said “The (Trump) administration ignored our extensive efforts to address its concerns, which we conducted fully and in good faith. We do not take suing the government lightly, however we feel we have no choice but to take action to protect our rights, and the rights of our community and employees.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

OU’s Welcome Week has a full agenda of activities planned virtually. (The Post)

Check out this environmental investigation into the current climate crisis. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today is mostly sunny with a 20% chance of late afternoon showers and thunderstorms. The high is 92 degrees and the low is 68 degrees, so make sure to beat the heat. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Zoom outages disrupted meetings and classes around the country Monday. (The Washington Post)

Today marks Windows 95’s 25th anniversary. (The Verge)

Alexei Navalny, one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's most prominent critics, was poisoned by an unknown substance. (NPR)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu