Alexander’s Michael Lash II attempts to run the ball past Athens’ Braxton Springer during the game at Alexander High School on Friday, Aug. 28, 2020. Athens beat Alexander 20-13.

High School Football: Alexander looks for first win of the season against St. Mary's

Alexander travels to West Virginia on Friday in search of its first win.

The Spartans are coming off a close contest with conference rival Athens, in which they almost completed a second-half comeback. Alexander wants Friday’s game against St. Mary’s to be more of the same from the final two quarters, when the offense made a several big plays and threatened to take control of the game.

On offense, the Spartans’ ability to move downfield was increased due to an emphasis on running the ball and a change at quarterback to junior Xander Karagosian. Defensively, the increased pressure on Joey Moore and tighter coverage on the Bulldogs’ receivers in the second half could turn into Alexander's defensive identity this season.

Here is what you need to know heading into the game:

Game information and notes:

• Opponent: St. Mary’s (West Virginia) Blue Devils
  • Venue: Bill Hanlin Stadium
  • Date and Time: Friday, Sept. 4 at 7:30 p.m.
  • This will be the first ever meeting between the Spartans and the Blue Devils. 
  • Before Saturday, Aug. 29, neither team had a game scheduled for Friday due to the uncertainty surrounding the season from the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • This is St. Mary’s season opener. In 2019, the Blue Devils went 8-2 in the regular season and picked up a playoff win before getting eliminated in the second round of the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission Playoffs.
  • While this is the first time Alexander has played a team from West Virginia since at least 2004, St. Mary’s recently played Marietta in 2017, defeating them 63-19.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports