Alexander’s Michael Lash II runs the ball during the Athens versus Alexander game on Friday, Aug. 28, 2020, at Alexander High School. Athens won the match 20-13.

High School Football: Alexander returns to conference play in search of its first win

After a nonconference loss to St. Marys, Alexander returns to conference play looking for its first win of the season.

The Spartans (0-2, 0-1 TVC-Ohio) went to West Virginia last week looking for a win after a promising season opener, but only came away with a 42-6 loss that did not create optimism. On Friday, they are looking to reverse their fortunes as they travel to Wellston for a TVC-Ohio game with the undefeated Golden Rockets.

The Spartans have had three men take snaps at quarterback in the first two games, and the lack of consistent play under center has led to Alexander not having an offensive identity yet. Coach  Earich Dean said that  Xander Karagosian will be the starter against Wellston, with freshman Jordan Schulz likely to get snaps as well. 

On defense, the Spartans have to figure out which game represents what the defense brings to the table this season: the game against Athens where they held the Bulldogs’ high flying offense scoreless in the second half, or the game against St. Marys where they struggled to stop anything the Blue Devils did offensively. 

Here is what you need to know heading into the game:

Game information and notes:

• Opponent: Wellston Golden Rockets (2-0)
  • Venue: C.H. Jones Field
  • Date and Time: Friday, Sept. 11 at 7 p.m.
  • Wellston won the most recent game between the two teams, beating Alexander 8-0 last season.
  • The Golden Rockets have also won the last four meetings against the Spartans. Alexander hasn’t beat them since its 33-20 win in the 2015 season.
  • Wellston has won its first two games of the season, gaining wins over River Valley and Nelsonville-York before it heads into the game with the Spartans.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports