The public attends the Athens City Council meeting in Athens City Hall on Monday, February 3, 2020.

City Council: Areas rezoned for Athens Mold and Machine; possibility of trick-or-treating discussed

Athens City Council passed an ordinance Monday rezoning an area of Athens from a business zone to an industrial zone.

This ordinance will rezone 42 Elliot Street, 20, 21 and 25 Campbell Street and the abandoned railroad right-of-way. This rezoning would make it possible for Athens Mold & Machine to bring its supply chain closer to their existing production, according to a previous Post report.

Councilwoman Beth Clodfelter, D-At Large, said that making it easier for companies to expand will help diversify Athens’ economy.

“I think as the enrollment at Ohio University declines that Athens as a city just has to find more and more ways to diversify the economy,” Clodfelter said.

Council also discussed the possibility of having trick-or-treating this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said that the Halloween Block Party and Athens Uptown Business Association Trick-or-Treat will not be happening this year. 

Mayor Patterson said that the city cannot ban trick-or-treating for residential neighborhoods in Athens, but the current mask mandate will still be in effect.

“I personally would encourage people not to distribute candy on Halloween,” Patterson said.

Clodfelter expressed concern about trick-or-treating in her neighborhood in the near east side of Athens as there have been large numbers of trick-or-treaters in the past. 

@kyraleckrone

kl290617@ohio.edu