Athens High School quarterback Joey Moore runs the ball during Athens’ game versus Marietta on Friday, Sept. 11, 2020, at Joe Burrow Stadium. Athens lost the match 20-24.

High School Football: Joey Moore reflects on his senior season

Joey Moore never expected to play this year. He figured he’d be at home on Friday nights while coronavirus forced Athens to forfeit its season. When he and his fellow seniors got the call that the Bulldogs were cleared to play, they couldn’t contain their excitement.

“We were all juiced,” Moore said. “Everyone was like, ‘It's time.’ So we went out and busted our butts to get ready because we never knew when the call would come to tell us we’re not playing anymore.”

Moore is one of 15 seniors on the Bulldogs’ roster this season. With 36 total players for Athens, that means 42 percent of the roster will be graduating during the most unconventional year in TVC-Ohio history. 42 percent of the Bulldogs have two weeks left in the regular season.

Their final season was cut even shorter when Wellston canceled last Friday. Moore isn’t bothered though. Despite having a shorter farewell tour of the TVC-Ohio than other senior classes, Moore and his teammates are happy with what they’ve been given. The general consensus is that it was a blessing to be able to play at all this season.

Coach Nathan White has seen his seniors become more appreciative of what time they’ve been given. Seeing how hard his players work during practice has opened White’s eyes to how much football means to them.

“I think most of the guys who came back realized how much they loved it,” White said. “I think they are, as a group of seniors, very thankful that they get to play even seven games this year.”

Being the elder statesmen for the Bulldogs, Moore and the other seniors have the most experience compared to their younger teammates. Coach White has encouraged the seniors to share that experience and to be leaders for the younger Bulldogs while they’re still playing.

During practices, White has noticed the two types of leaders seniors can become: those who like to motivate and those who lead by example.

“The biggest thing is the guys who are here every day no matter how hard it gets,” White said. “You always have a few guys that will be your vocal leaders that talk and get you going, but we have such a solid group of seniors who don't say a whole lot but just show up every day and grind.”

To White, Moore is an example of a player who both leads by example and amps up the rest of the team. As the quarterback, Moore needs to be confident in his decisions to keep the offense afloat during games.

The senior doesn’t like to loft himself higher than he thinks he deserves. He wants his teammates to decide if he’s been a good leader, not himself.

“That's the kind of question I can't answer,” Moore said. “But I believe I have. I've tried in the offseason to motivate my guys and get them going.”

White has faith in his quarterback. The senior has shown himself as a strong leader for the Bulldogs this year, through the stress and uncertainty the fall has brought to Athens.

“The first person you notice is the guy who grinds and the guy who talks,” White said. “You don't have to be around us very long to see for us that's Joey.”

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu