5 songs popularized by TikTok

TikTok has completely transformed the way we find music. Whether it's a new rap song used for a fast dance, or an old 2000s song used solely for a funny meme, these are the songs that the app has made popular (and gotten stuck in your head):

“Say So” by Doja Cat

Known for: “Say So” Dance 

Doja Cat is known for being the queen of TikTok trends. Any song by the 24-year-old artist automatically becomes a viral hit. Part of her second studio album, Hot Pink, the song was released in 2019, but didn’t become popular until TikTok user Haley Sharpe created its accomanying dance in December of the same year. 

The dance became a viral hit, even being showcased by popular users such as Addison Rae and Emma Chamberlain. Doja Cat even performed the dance with Sharpe in her music video released in February. 

HERE IT IS!! the full say so dance

haley sharpe (@yodelinghaley) has created a short video on TikTok with music say so by doja cat. | HERE IT IS!! the full say so dance

Supalonely by BENEE feat. Gus Dapperton

Known for: “Supalonely” Dance 

If any song was to describe 2020, it’s “Supalonely.” This upbeat alternative pop song was originally released by New Zealand artist Benee in Nov. 2019, featuring American singer Gus Dapperton. 

App user Zoifishh created a fast-paced dance to the song, which quickly gained popularity by March. The song has also been praised by artists such as Elton John for being a global hit and has reached over 400 million plays on Spotify. 

not my usual content but this song was too catchy to not make a dance to LMAO try it and tag me !! #foryou #foryour #foryoupage #foryourpage

zoifishh (@zoifishh) has created a short video on TikTok with music Supalonely (feat. Gus Dapperton). | not my usual content but this song was too catchy to not make a dance to LMAO try it and tag me !! #foryou #foryour #foryoupage #foryourpage

“Roses” (Imanbek Remix) by SAINt JHN and Imanbek

Known for: “Roses” Dance

While this funky remix had quite a few dance trends attached to it, it is the one of the most popular songs on the app. The original song was released in 2016, but it was later remixed by producer Imanbek and released in Sept. 2019. 

The song quickly became a viral hit on both TikTok and Snapchat, as it was featured on a filter. In 2020, both Future and J Balvin remixed their own versions of the song with Imanbek.

hope everyone is staying INSIDE & SAFE

Loren Gray (@lorengray) has created a short video on TikTok with music Roses - Imanbek Remix. | hope everyone is staying INSIDE & SAFE

“Bulletproof” by La Roux

Known for: “You Think You Can Hurt My Feelings?” Meme

TikTok is not only known for creating music trends, but also for redeeming them. Originally released in 2009, the song rose to the top of the app’s charts in August. 

The song is used for the “You Think You Can Hurt My Feelings?” meme for users to make fun of past personal experiences, many being traumatic and scarring. Meme users include James Charles and the cast of Dance Moms, all poking fun at the drama they’ve endured. 

And that's on being bullied by the biggest bully in America lmao Also gonna credit @mackenzieziegler and @itsjojosiwa

NiaSioux (@niasioux) has created a short video on TikTok with music Bulletproof. | And that's on being bullied by the biggest bully in America lmao Also gonna credit @mackenzieziegler and @itsjojosiwa

“Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion

Known for: “Savage” Dance

This list would not be complete without this smash hit. Anytime Megan releases a song, it quickly becomes viral. Not long after its release in March, the single had everyone performing to the song’s chorus.

19-year-old Keke Wilson from Ohio created the “Savage Challenge” dance and it only took a few days for celebrities like Jennifer Lopez and Megan herself to post the challenge. The song now has over 200 million plays on Spotify and now has a remix featuring Beyonce. 

NEW DANCE ALERT! if u use my dance tag me so i can see @theestallion #writethelyrics #PlayWithLife #foyou #fyp #foryoupage #newdance #savage

QUEEN KEKE (@keke.janajah) has created a short video on TikTok with music Savage. | NEW DANCE ALERT! if u use my dance tag me so i can see @theestallion #writethelyrics #PlayWithLife #foyou #fyp #foryoupage #newdance #savage

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu