Honest Adonis: Wes Montgomery is an underrated jazz legend

In times of celebration or sorrow, whether today or tomorrow, there’s always a perfect jazz song to match the mood. Even though the heyday of the genre, once ignorantly called “musical noise” by Walter Cronkite, is decades past, the innovative theories of its musicians are still heavily influential in today’s music.

The most revered and famous of those legends are names like: Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Bessie Smith, Theolonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Roy Ayers, Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane (My dad’s personal favorite). 

When one thinks of jazz, it’s near impossible that one of these names doesn’t come to mind. However, I’d like to add another name to their pantheon of greatness: the incredible guitarist, Wes Montgomery, a forgotten jazz artist who’s my personal favorite.

Beginning to understand his greatness starts with the music. Across his catalogue, you’ll find an array of captivating collaborations and solos where he displays his virtuoso genius from the first note to the last. Among his hits, no matter how you’re feeling — or want to feel — Montgomery has something up his sleeve, perfect for the occasion.

Are you feeling a bit sad, reflective?

Then songs like “Polka Dots and Moonbeams,” “I’ve Grown Accustomed to Her Face,” “Stairway to the Stars” or “I Wish I Knew” will match exactly how you feel. They’re all examples of Wes’s ability to channel more emotional, slower ballads. Perfect for lonely nights and reflective moods.

But on the other hand, are you in a great mood? Did you ace your last exam?

Montgomery’s still got you covered with upbeat classics like “California Dreaming”, “Fly Me to the Moon”, “Chim Chim Cheree” or “Goin’ Out of My Head” to name a few. These songs all have some bite, some panaché to them that just paints a smile on your face and uplifts your spirits.

Besides those, he’s got countless songs that are perfect for any occasion, whether it be studying, running or writing. He didn’t do it alone, though, while he was a revered soloist, some of my favorite songs of his are collaborations with revered organist, Jimmy Smith, and legendary vibraphonist, Milt Jackson among other greats of his time.

What makes him so underrated, though, isn’t just the collaborations or the vast discography that matches any mood, any day, but also, his unconventional playing technique and his commitment to his family.

Wes Montgomery taught himself guitar at 19. Instead of using a pick, he learned with the fleshy part of his thumb. This approach allowed him to create a warm, distinctive, harmonic sound that distinguished him from the other guitarists of his day. 

He was also a brilliant theorist and a master of simplicity. He learned how to distinguish himself further by pursuing octaves and harmonies that were different chords than what the rhythm section was playing. This understanding gave his music an idiosyncratic quality that was unique and immediately identifiable, influencing artists for generations.

With all of this talent, you’d think that Wes Montgomery might be a tortured genius, a diva or Machiavellian, but instead, he was known as a loving family man.

In the beginning of his career, he didn’t abandon his family for fame and fortune, but put his career on hold. He worked day jobs to feed a growing family of seven and played at night, from 9pm to 2am slots, emerging as an excellent soloist in Indianapolis. He was also known as an extremely kind man, often smiling and trying to help whoever he could.

Unfortunately, Montgomery would die in 1968 of a heart attack, but his music far outlived him with over 700,000 monthly listeners on Spotify and countless fans to boot.

So, I hope that I’ve inspired you to take a look into Wes Montgomery, one of jazz’s underrated legends who may bring you some joy in those turbulent times. I’ve often found that listening to music helps me through challenges and there are few artists better than Montgomery to help through times like these.

Adonis Fryer is a sophomore studying communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Adonis by emailing him at af414219@ohio.edu.