Justin Bieber released his latest single, “Holy,” featuring Chance the Rapper on Sept. 18, 2020.(Photo provided via @justinbieber on Instagram)

Justin Bieber outdoes himself with his latest single, "Holy," featuring Chance the Rapper

When news broke on Monday that Justin Bieber would be releasing his latest single Sept. 17, all that fans and followers alike could hope for was that it wouldn’t be as much of a disappointment as his last single, “Yummy,” was. 

Sure enough, teasers, such as a music video directed by Colin Tilley and the announcement that Chance the Rapper would be featured on the new track, “Holy,” arose was enough to have Beliebers convinced it would be a sensation. 

Embedded in the lyrics of Bieber’s latest song is maturation, love, devotion, purity and sincerity. To say the least, the tune is truly touching. Clearly, the title itself is religious, and the allusions to prayer and spirituality don’t stop there. 

For starters, the backbeat possesses aspects and characteristics of traditional gospel music mixed with a modern, upbeat, pop sound. In addition, Bieber repeats “Runnin' to the altar like a track star / Can't wait another second / 'Cause the way you hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me feels so holy.” 

There is no doubt much of his inspiration came from his marriage to Hailey Bieber. It is unmistakable that she brings out the best version of him and has helped strengthen his faith, given the lyrics, “I know I ain't leaving you like I know He ain't leaving us / I know we believe in God, and I know God believe in us.” 

“Holy” was ultimately the track Bieber needed to prove he still had it in him and was able to sing about the people and values he held closest to him, like he previously did on albums such as Purpose and Believe. Nonetheless, we couldn’t be happier that Bieber seems to be in a healthy, positive place in his life where he can flourish and continue to climb to greater heights.

Dates for Bieber’s upcoming tour were also rescheduled. Check them out here

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu