Knuckle Puck released ‘20/20’ on September 18 and encourages listeners to share the album with those they love. (Photo provided by @KnucklePuckIL via Twitter).

Album Review: Knuckle Puck’s ‘20/20’ is everything pop-punk needs right now

Knuckle Puck isn’t trying to impress anyone. All it wants to do is make music that fulfills its own cathartic desires — while also, hopefully, resonating with whomever gives it a chance. The five-piece from Illinois has been one of the faces of pop-punk since 2015’s Copacetic and, luckily, hasn’t strayed too far from its irreplaceable sound with its latest release, 20/20.

Knuckle Puck, as it got its start doing covers, earned its name from a T-shirt that said “Knuckle Puck Crew,” which was sold by hardcore group Stick to Your Guns. The band released six EPs — including a split with Neck Deep — before supporting Modern Baseball on tour and dropping the game-changing Copacetic. 2017’s Shapeshifter was a breath of fresh air that pop-punk is in good hands, and three years later, 20/20 is keeping those hopes alive.

20/20 is a stark change from Knuckle Puck’s typical pure angst, instead opting to radiate positivity during a time of massive uncertainty due to COVID-19. No track lacks in any way, proving there’s still some good left in this year. The drums of “Sidechain” are hammered into your soul as Taylor’s sickeningly good vocals echo, literally, in your head for hours. “Breathe (feat. Derek Sanders)” is the crossover of a lifetime, as Sanders from Mayday Parade and Taylor’s vocals complement each other while reminding listeners they can overcome anything in their way. The title track, 20/20, shows how far Taylor has come from the dark themes of Copacetic, being able to finally move forward with a positive outlook. Lucky for us, Knuckle Puck and its charm don’t seem to be going anywhere.

Here are the best five tracks from 20/20:

5. “Into The Blue”

Sometimes, we all just want to “swan dive from 20,000 feet above it all,” too, Knuckle Puck. With a beginning that mirrors that of Copacetic’s “Disdain;” “Into The Blue” is about finding your way back to your significant other. While the roaring guitars from Kevin Maida and Nick Casasanto and aggressive yet soothing drums from John Siorek, create an angsty universe, Taylor’s vocals reverberate feelings of pain and love, bringing us back to a calmer reality. Taylor only hopes he can have another chance: “Could you help me feel infinite? / Just let me hold onto this feeling / I wanna fall back into the blue / Swear I won’t float away from you.”

4. “RSVP”

“RSVP” is a complete contrast from “Into The Blue.” Ryan Rumchaks on the bass helps disclose an angry mood, and this time around, Taylor is begging his former friend to stay where they belong: in the past. The evident pain in Taylor’s vocals makes his words cut even deeper: “So you can keep your RSVP / From 12 feet deep, down the hole you’re in / If I’m telling the truth, I won’t miss you; I won’t miss you.” Recognizing toxicity and learning that you deserve better? We love to see it.

3. “Green Eyes (Polarized)”

Prepare to transcend space and time because of Taylor’s airy vocals at the end of the chorus. Growth is a chief theme of 20/20, epitomized on “Green Eyes (Polarized),” where Taylor takes the time to tell a past love he thinks it’s best if they cut all ties. One of the softer songs on the album with its ethereal guitars, the track says what we all wish we had the guts to tell that one toxic person: “When one good thing marks the ending of another, why can’t we let it be like spring into the summer? … I’ll keep my cool if you keep your distance / What’s right for you ain’t always good for business.”

2. “Tune You Out”

Knuckle Puck was right to release this as a single: the aggressive bridge, the brief spoken word, the pulsating guitars all culminate into a world that pop-punk dreams are made of. Reminiscent of the aggression of the band’s early EPs, the track is straightforward: Taylor isn’t going to listen to the aggravating person in his life anymore until they get over themselves. He’s given them more than enough chances, so he’s finally saying his piece: “It tears me up inside / I’ll tune you out ’til we all calm down.”

1. “Earthquake”

The production of “Earthquake” sets the mood: with guitars that ring with contentment, the track is about recognizing the person you’re currently with is the one you want forever. Taylor’s girlfriend and the way she makes him feel is far more impactful than any natural disaster: “You look so good; you got me confused / I can’t just cover it up like your first tattoo / You got me shook, trippin’ over my shoes / An earthquake ain’t nothin’ compared to you.” The track is literally goals, and it’s the best on 20/20.

Rating: 4.5/5

@bre_offenberger

bo844517@ohio.edu