Nelsonville-York's wide receiver Critter McDonald (No. 6) runs the ball in the third quarter against Meigs High School at its home game at Boston Field on Friday, Sept. 6, 2020. The NY Buckeyes defeated Meigs, 42-16.

High School Football: Buckeyes win double overtime thriller at Vinton County

Alec Taylor took three steps back and two to the left. As he waited for the ball to be snapped, coaches and players on the Vinton County sideline waved their arms to the socially distant crowd in a plea for noise. Anxious fans sat and watched from atop the hill overlooking the end zone.

As the senior kicker took his steps and kicked the ball, it was clear that those fans would go home disappointed. Taylor nailed the game-winning 27-yard attempt in Nelsonville-York’s (2-2, 2-1 TVC-Ohio) thrilling 17-14 double overtime victory at Vinton County (2-2) on Friday night.

Taylor wouldn’t have had the chance to kick that field goal without the Buckeyes’ defense. In the first overtime, the kicker missed a 22-yard attempt from the right hash. After the Vikings missed a field goal of their own, the defense had another chance to step up.

On the first play of the second overtime, Vinton County fumbled the ball. After a quick three plays, Taylor had his second chance, and he knew he wouldn’t miss it.

“I didn’t expect to miss that first one. Things didn’t go too well,” Taylor said. “Once I stepped up for that second one, I knew it was in.”

After missing a shorter field goal, most head coaches would consider going for it on fourth-and-one, but head coach Rusty Richards didn’t hesitate to send his senior back on the field.

“As soon as we got that fumble, I was just trying to inch it closer for our kicker,” Richards said. “I had all the faith. He’s not going to miss two in a row on me, and he didn’t.”

The Buckeyes looked dead after the first half. The offense was unable to produce any points, with only 39 total yards. The defense held the Vikings to just 14 points to keep them in the game.

Richards let the offense loose in the third quarter, as Nelsonville-York completed three passes for over 30 yards. One 32-yard pass to Critter McDonald led to the Buckeyes’ first touchdown of the game on the next play.

The next touchdown came on a 49-yard hook-and-ladder in which Ethan Gail caught the ball and flipped it to freshman Makhi Williams, who took it the rest of the way.

“We’ve been working on it for a few weeks,” Richards said. “Makhi, he’s new, and he’s been playing quarterback, so he is usually the one throwing it. We had to get the angles on him, and we’ve really only practiced that probably three or four times.”

Three or four times was enough practice to complete Nelsonville-York’s 14-point comeback. 

The second half of Friday’s game proved to Richards once again what he has been saying about the toughness of his team. The Buckeyes have rallied to an even record after dropping their first two games.

“Every week practice is getting better, and that’s a testament to our seniors,” Richards said. “I’ve been very happy that no one quits on this team. We’re going to go down swing until the end.”

The Buckeyes will travel to River Valley next week to try to extend their winning streak to three.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu