The Cat's Cradle: Shin Godzilla is the best modern Godzilla film

Godzilla is a media icon that has spanned 66-years, with 36 films in total. Each film has a certain style that informs the films, from campy to melodramatic. When it comes to finding the best since the original "Gojira," look no further than "Shin Godzilla." 

"Shin Godzilla" takes place in a post-natural disaster Japan, as an unknown monster comes out of the bay of a fishing city and proceeds inland, leaving a wake of destruction in its path. In response, the Japanese government forms a think tank of leading intellectuals to crack the enigma of Godzilla to stop any further destruction in Japan.

Inspired by the Fukushima Accident, when Japan was struck by an earthquake, then a tsunami. In turn, each natural event disturbed the local nuclear reactor, causing core complications and the evacuation of the region of Fukushima. After a period of research and action, the core was stabilized. 

A core element of "Shin Godzilla" becomes a representation of the natural and radioactive threat to an unprepared Japan. Godzilla is a natural force that not only leaves a trail of destruction, but also a radioactive trail. Godzilla is a representation of the danger of not only nature and radiation. This evokes certain anxiety in the characters, that translates to the audience. Godzilla is both a natural and man-made force, a product of both humans on Earth and the Earth itself. 

An element pulled straight from "Gojira," which played on similar anxiety surrounding the new Atomic Age. Godzilla, in the original, is found to be a then-unknown species of animal that has been mutated by the nuclear fallout by US bombings near Japan. Resulting in a monster of the modern age.

A second core element of “Shin Godzilla” is the design of Godzilla itself. The look of Godzilla has remained constant over the generations of films, with the few deviations found in American remakes of the films. The common elements of the Toho Godzilla is tall, thin bodies with a lizard-like head. This design is internalized to a point that each new Godzilla only contributes the slightest of changes.

The new additions to the look of Godzilla, by the creators of "Shin Godzilla," are notable because they are so uncanny with his wide mouth, misplaced teeth, and glazed eyes added to the “monster” element of Godzilla. Each was a conscious choice of the creators to create an unsettling design for Godzilla, making a new monster out of the classic beast. 

By maintaining the spirit of the original film and building on its core elements, "Shin Godzilla" does what a Godzilla film should – it expands on the initial concept of Godzilla. It creates a visually stunning and memorable Godzilla in a tense story of scientists racing against the clock. Making “Shin Godzilla” the best modern entry to the franchise. 

Benjamin Ervin is a senior studying English literature and writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Benjamin know by emailing him be425014@ohio.edu_.