Tokyo 2021 Olympics to continue ‘with or without COVID-19’; students defer OU acceptance

Today is Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

The Tokyo Olympic Games will continue next year with or without COVID-19, according to a statement from the vice-president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). 

Originally scheduled to start in July 2020, the Olympic Games were postponed until 2021 due to coronavirus concerns. The IOC said they will not delay the Games beyond 2021. 

“The Games were going to be the theme, the Reconstruction Games after the devastation of the tsunami,” John Coates, IOC vice-president, said, “Now very much these will be the Games that conquered COVID, the light at the end of the tunnel.” 

Though there aren’t many details of the logistics surrounding the Games, Tokyo 2020 chief executive Toshiro Muto said they wanted to avoid having no spectators, and are pursuing the idea of a “limited” audience. 

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

News from The Post:

Here’s what you may have missed from local high school football this week (The Post)

Some students are deferring their OU acceptance to the spring, and here’s why. (The Post)

Big Sean’s album just dropped and here’s what we think. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Today is mostly sunny with no precipitation. There are low speed winds with a high of 81 degrees and a low of 61 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Jacob Blake is telling his story of survival. (New York Times)

Before Nintendo released the Switch, they thought about making a GameCube-type console. (The Verge)

Hong Kong police are facing drastic criticism after the violent arrest of a 12-year-old girl. (FOX News)

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu