6 activities that will make you fall in love with autumn

This year, numerous fall festivities like haunted houses and trick-or-treating will be modified or canceled. However, don't let the pandemic bring you down; there are still many activities to celebrate the season! Here are a few activities to ring in the fall spirit: 

Halloween movie marathon

Streaming and rental services bring plenty of movies to the comfort of your own home. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the variety of films Halloween season has to offer. The Sixth Sense, The Silence of the Lambs, Halloween and The Shining are sure to bring a chill down your spine. However, if scary movies aren't your thing, try family-friendly classics like Hocus Pocus, Ghostbusters or Casper

This is the optimal time of year for Tim Burton's movies to especially shine. He boasts classics like Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Frankenweenie. Bonus recommendations: The Simpsons has its entertaining annual Treehouse of Horror episodes, and we also can’t forget about the iconic TV special everyone loves, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

"Boo!" your neighbors or friends  

Want to brighten someone's day? Then "Boo!" your neighbors or friends! A "boo" is when you leave a treat or goody bag on someone's doorstep. It should be dropped off in secret and anonymously. Leave a note along with the gift instructing the person to pay it forward by "booing" another person of their choice. This is a great way to show someone you're thinking of them and spread joy!

Go to an apple orchard

Yes, you can buy apples at the store, but where's the fun in that? Store-bought apples can't compare to ones fresh off the tree. Visiting an apple orchard is a great outdoor activity where you can enjoy the fall weather and be socially distant. Plus, after all the orchard fun, you get to go home and eat fresh, delicious apples. Making caramel apples or baking an apple pie is the perfect way to end a day spent at the orchard. 

Go camping

Autumn is a great time to go camping because the weather is cooler, there are fewer bugs, and it is less crowded than during the summer. Find a campsite near you and fill your trip with activities like stargazing, hiking, or fishing. End your days with a bonfire, which are best accompanied by plenty of s’mores and spooky ghost stories.  

Visit a pumpkin patch and carve pumpkins     

This is arguably the most classic fall activity of them all. Head out to your nearest pumpkin patch, social distance, and find the best pumpkin there. Afterward, take your pumpkins and get creative! Carve them into a spooky creation or paint your pumpkin a funky design. Be sure to display them outside your residence for everyone to see and enjoy.

Go for a drive  

Take a break from staring at your screen and go outside. Get in your car, roll the windows down and drive; a destination is optional. Use this time to relax. Look around and admire the changing leaves while taking in the fresh chilly air. Put on your favorite playlist or podcast. I recommend turning up the volume for optimal relaxation. 

@juliana.colant

jc079419@ohio.edu