Athens’ Braxton Springer attempts to catch the ball during the Bulldogs’ game against Marietta at Joe Burrow Stadium on Friday, Sept. 11, 2020. Athens lost 20-24. (FILE)

High School Football: Athens prepares for Week 6 showdown against Nelsonville-York

Athens’ final game of the regular season is nearly here. There is one game separating the Bulldogs from the OHSAA playoffs, and it will be against their biggest rival.

Nelsonville-York will be the biggest hurdle for Athens to clear. Coach Nathan White said the Bulldogs won’t have trouble getting pumped up for the game against the Buckeyes.

The only difficulty will be trying to fix the problems from last week’s victory over Meigs.

“We can't start in the first quarter the way we did (Friday),” White said. “That will put us in a pretty big hole against a good physical football team.”

The Bulldogs’ offense had a mostly strong outing against the Marauders last week, with the exception of the first quarter. Athens couldn’t find a rhythm early in the game which cost them an early lead. 

Nelsonville-York has been somewhat more consistent with its offense this season. If the Bulldogs can’t form a cohesive offense early on, their chances of a winning record will be thrown out the window.

Game information:

Opponent: Nelsonville-York

Venue: Boston Field, Nelsonville, Ohio

How to listen: 970 WATH will have a broadcast for the game.

Notes:

• Athens lost 35-28 to Nelsonville-York last year
  • The Bulldogs are 6-4 against the Buckeyes since 2010

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu